Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the '10.3: S/MIME encryption and Mail.app' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: S/MIME encryption and Mail.app
Authored by: jfewtr on Feb 05, '04 02:10:58PM

Thanks. I tried changing my full name in mail.app to match the name and case in the Common Name in the cert, but I still have the same problem. As far as I can tell, I've done everything suggested in this thread and it still doesn't work. Maybe there's something wrong with my CA's root cert, but it's odd that it all works perfectly in Mozilla. Oh well.



[ Reply to This | # ]
10.3: S/MIME encryption and Mail.app
Authored by: Schwie on Jan 01, '07 09:32:59PM

I had this same problem and I managed to figure it out.

I had my certificates working in Mail for over a year when today I got cute and tried to update my certificate to include my GMail account. When I deleted my old Thawte personal email certificate from Keychain Access, I screwed up and deleted the personal certificate ALONG with the X509Anchors entries for Thawte. This was crucial, because when I created the new/updated certificate at Thawte and went to import it back into Keychain Access, it imported fine, but Thawte didn't replace my X509Anchors entries. Hence, when I fired up Mail, the padlock S/MIME icons weren't appearing for signing individual messages. After pulling my hair out for too much time, I finally got smart and hopped on another Mac I have and I exported the Thawte certificates from Keychain Access and imported them back on to the machine that I impaired.

After doing this, my new/updated certificate now works flawlessly (and I switched to CACert now, so we'll see how this goes).



[ Reply to This | # ]