Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Schedule calls in iCal directly from AddressBook' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: PancakeMan on Feb 04, '04 12:27:15PM

I get an error message - "Syntax Error: Expected "given", "into", "without" or other parameter name but found "property"." - when trying to compile this script in Script Editor 2.0.

Any ideas why?

Authored by: Lohengrin on Feb 04, '04 12:54:02PM

This script works great, thanks!!

Authored by: campy on Feb 04, '04 12:56:40PM

Not sure why that happened for you but it worked perfectly for me in X.3.2, i'd give it another shot. If you highlight the script from the page you can use the services menu to create the script in script editor automagically. :-)

---
-------------
Campy

Authored by: PancakeMan on Feb 04, '04 02:04:37PM

Well, it still doesn't work, but I did learn a new handy Services menu trick! Thanks! ...
Only, selecting that service menu item fires up Classic mode to launch the OS9 Script Editor. This may be because I downloaded Script Editor 2 for OSX. Anybody know a good way to tell the system to pass the copied text to that newer editor when the menu item is selected?

Services tip
Authored by: rgray on Feb 04, '04 05:10:03PM
If you highlight the script from the page you can use the services menu to create the script in script editor automagically. Wow! didn't know.... A thing I really enjoy on this site - I always learn something new (to me.... so I'm not as sharp as some...) and often it comes from left field relative to the tip itself... Services!! da*n!! This info will make scripts a useable reality for me. thanks.........

Authored by: BobVB on Feb 05, '04 04:13:52PM

Replying to my own post.

The problem was there was an old OS 9 program called 'Address Book' on my hard drive and Script Editor was looking THERE for the AS dictionary.

Changed the name on the OS 9 program and it then compiled just fine.

Something so 2 apps with the same name is something to be aware of it seems.

Authored by: miraz on Feb 04, '04 01:03:53PM

It worked nicely for me. I use the Services menu to add the script to the Script Editor. I wonder if yours could be an issue with line breaks? (Note: I'm an Applescript newbie and that's just a wild guess.)

---
Writer Trainer Web-Designer Learner

Authored by: filmsmith on Feb 04, '04 01:27:30PM

I get the same error. I'm using 10.2.6 (sadly) and haven't been able to test it on Panther. Could that be the problem? Should this hint be made a '10.3'? Or is there a minor tweak that can help it work under 10.2?

fs

Authored by: PancakeMan on Feb 04, '04 01:57:06PM

Maybe that _is_ the problem. I (the original error-reporter) am running Jaguar 10.2.8.

Authored by: rluttman on Feb 04, '04 01:52:00PM

As the hint states: Save as a Script file in the Address book plug-in folder. I did it that way and it works perfectly. it is an amazing little script.

Authored by: filmsmith on Feb 04, '04 02:04:48PM

Have you ever tried to save a script as a Script File when you can't get it to compile? Not to sound mean or terse, but you can't. THAT is the problem. If we could get it to compile, we could save it as a Script File. As it is, we're stuck saving it as a text file.

fs

Authored by: Mara on Feb 04, '04 02:12:14PM

Same here. Using 10.3.2 and the Script works flawlessly. It even adds a link back to the Address Book entry in the "url" field in the To Do. Very nice.

BUT I did have to modify one thing: remove the backlashes before quotes. It's a silly thing, but maybe that's what makes Script Editor fail in compiling. Just a thought.

Authored by: Mara on Feb 04, '04 02:19:24PM
PS - I meant, I don't see backslashes in the script text as it appears on the web page here, but when I copied the text from Safari and pasted it into Script Editor, for some reason the quotes appeared with backslashes before them. I didn't instantly notice that. I just did a search/replace for
\"
to
"
and it compiled.

Authored by: dbourbon on Feb 08, '04 07:14:02PM

I made the script and installed it in the plug-in folder and it worked great. The next time I started my Mac, it wouldn't work at all. I have written new scripts and installed them in the folder, but it doesn't have any effect. When I run the script from Script Editor (not from the Address Book) it will open iCal, but that's it. Any suggestions?

Authored by: BobVB on Feb 04, '04 02:45:25PM

I'm with you, I get the same error as if it doesn't properly understand the 'on action property' instruction. I have no \" or any entry error that I can identify. Using 10.3.2 with script editor 2.0. Heck, the on action property won't compile even when everything else is removed.

Wonder if our installs of Applescript are faulty?