Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'enable irda?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
enable irda?
Authored by: bhines on Nov 22, '01 04:09:12AM

Speaking of which, i just found something interesting in

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/PortNames.strings :

? localized port names */
/* if name is set to "IGNORE", port doesn't appear in port list */

"airport" = "AirPort";
"irda" = "IGNORE";
"irda-port" = "IGNORE";
"irda-ircomm" = "USB IrDA Modem Adaptor";
"irda-ircomm-port" = "IrDA Modem Port";
"wireless" = "Wireless Network Adaptor";
"generic-ether" = "Ethernet Adaptor (%@)";

Users who have irda machines that don't show in the popup: try changing the "IGNORE" setting to something else, and see if it lets you select it!

enable irda?
Authored by: boboeltoto on Nov 22, '01 06:00:46AM

thanx for the tip Bhines but unfortunatly changing "ignore" to something else is not enough to have the port working on a first gen. Tibook.
After the change I do see the IRDA port as an option in the network control panel but I can't get my cellphone's modem to be reconized.

Yesterday, Macnn posted an article about a "Hidden" bug known by Apple that prevent first generation Tibook to have IRDA port working....Apple is supposed to be working on a fix....Anyway that sucks...

Macnn Article :

Reader: service issue with 500MHz TiPB

A MacNN reader writes about an issue with early revisions of the PowerBook G4: "We're a service provider and Apple seems to have a hidden issue with the IrDA(infrared) port in the first rev of PB G4s under OS 10.1.1, it won't work. It only seems to work in the new 550s and 667MHz. They are aware of this issue and they're working on it, but they don't know when it'll be fixed. There's no articles regarding this issue either."

Didn't work with original TiBook 500
Authored by: rharder on Dec 18, '01 08:57:41AM

I tried editing that PortNames.strings file. When I opened my Network pref pane I got an alert saying there was a new port "irda-port". The capitalization was wrong (basically it didn't decode the PortNames file, just took the keyname), and when I selected irda-port from the pop-up menu of interfaces the tabs, I got the Modem set of tabs. Is that what it's supposed to look like?

I don't have an ericson to test it out.

-Rob

Didn't work with original TiBook 500
Authored by: remyleroy on Jan 10, '02 04:35:27AM

It doesn't work either on my Powerbook G3 "bronze" SCSI.... while this IRda port has been activated on MacOS X 10.1.2 for the Powerbook G3 "bronze" Firewire, and I don't think Apple will work on this feature for this "old" (?!?) powerbook

Has someone found a trick to have this IRda port activated?

enable irda?
Authored by: FiremanAndy on Jan 23, '02 02:29:46AM

I used this hack on an earlier version of 10 (.1? can't remember), and it worked to get my IrDA port visible under 'active network ports' in the network pref. panel. After installing the latest update, the file was replaced with a new one, causing the IrDA choice to be greyed out. I just went back in and replaced the "IGNORE" and will reboot to see if it becomes a choice again.

enable irda?
Authored by: NBrandt on Apr 17, '02 05:43:27PM

I know I may be ignorant but:
My network settings do not offer me an infra red option only the built in ethernet or internal modem. I have located the file you mention, but how do I edit it?

RSVP asap please

Many many thanks

do you know of another way to get the infrared port to appear as a choice?

enable irda?
Authored by: Jimmie on Dec 01, '02 03:44:27AM

I can't find this "IGNORE" anywhere in my system (Lombard w/clean Jaguar no Classic)

Managed to find my way to English.lproj/PortNames.strings

and that was it.

I did discover the IrDA menu file at:
System/Library/Core services/Menu Extras/IrDA.menu

BUT, when I click on this I don't see any icon launched (However, I was able to enable the Open/Close DVD Rom Drive menu.)

I've had IrDA infrared file exchange working great on this Lombard running Classic, transferred large app's from P'Books back to back.

What gives with OS X and IrDA? Are Apple phasing it out in favour of other wireless apps?