Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Launch applications by name using Applescript' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Launch applications by name using Applescript
Authored by: wOOge on Jan 21, '04 12:32:56PM

And if you think launch bar rocks, try:

"Another Launcher"

Same abilities as this script, and launchbar - but Donationware of $15!!

check it out:

---

wOOge

Launch applications by name using Applescript
Authored by: sfgecko on Jan 21, '04 03:36:04PM

i agree... Another Launcher is a great app that does what LaunchBar can do and more. it's a little confusing to setup at first, but once you do, you'll realize just how powerful it is. and it's donationware, so you can send a payment to the author if you choose to. after you use it for a while, you'll feel guilty that you didn't.

Another Launcher was a bit slow
Authored by: jecwobble on Jan 22, '04 10:33:30AM
I have rather simple needs from a user interface standpoint. I tried Another Launcher for a while, and I got the hang of setting it up okay. But aside from the hot-key feature (which I already had from iKey), the 'application launch by typing a few characters' was the only feature I used. I have not tried LaunchBar yet, but this feature in Another Launcher was too slow in my opinion.

Another Launcher was a bit slow
Authored by: aranor on Jan 22, '04 12:31:45PM

Too slow? LaunchBar is blazingly fast! Try it!

Another Launcher was a bit slow
Authored by: jecwobble on Jan 22, '04 03:46:07PM
These two app's names are too similar: I said that Another Launcher was a bit slow in my opinion. I said that I had not yet tried LaunchBar.

Another Launcher was a bit slow
Authored by: feelphree on Jan 24, '04 12:10:13PM

I have used both of these programs and am currently using Anohter Launcher. I agree with some of the other posts that LB is amazing in its simplicity, but with a few tweaks of AL you can get the same functionaity plus have a little more flexibility. AL is a little slow at first as it defaults to searching a good portion of the searchable locations everytime you enter text. If you shorten this list by excluding folders/indicies you don't use then it runs much more quickly. Before I customized this I was thinking about switching back to LB becasue AL was much slower (as others have mentioned), but now it runs just as fast. The display is a little more obtrusive, but I have started using some of the other features and I am really getting into it.

But then again I haven't checked back in on LB to see if there are any new features for a couple of months, maybe it's time...

Bryan