Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Why all the whining?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Why all the whining?
Authored by: jiclark on Jan 06, '04 05:14:02PM

I must say, I find it very discouraging that so many are quick to whine and moan about something that isn't even clear yet. My bet is that, as someone mentioned above, iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie will continue to be free downloads once the new iLife package CD is available on the 16th. This was the case with the first release of iLife. So until then, quit yer beechin'!!!

As someone else said, you've got your free software that works now, you really don't have anything to complain about otherwise!

And as to the iPod Mini, I'm tossed up. Yes, it would have been nice if they'd been able to make it $199, but we all know the price will come down as it evolves. It does seem too close in price to the new 15Giger though, IMHO. I'm just glad to see 'em coming up with new stuff in that realm. It's where they're obviously gaining the most ground, so why not go for it?

Lastly, in a selfish way, I'm thrilled they didn't release anything new on the main G5 front. My new Dual 2Gig gets here tomorrow, and I was hoping I wouldn't get hit with buyer's remorse...

;-} John-o

Why all the whining?
Authored by: wayneyoung on Jan 06, '04 08:14:04PM

I think people are whining because Apple has changed their marketing approach sooooo much lately. .mac was free then went to pay for one thing. Then there is the hard feelings over the pricing of OSX, especially "upgrades", and the up-to-date program having a short timeframe, the new "point" release structure of OSX being full price. Perhaps there are others I cannot think of right now, but many people who have been using Macs for a lot of years got used to the way Apple did things, now there is a drastic change, and people are having a hard time adjusting and understanding what is going on. Well it is just Steve doing what is best for the company and investors.

Why all the whining?
Authored by: BMarsh on Jan 07, '04 10:18:38AM

The point release being full price isn't much different then the Mac OS 7,8 and 9 era really...

7.5.whatever was free updates until 7.6 (about a year appart)
8.0 was another pay for release (about a year after 7.6)
8.1 was free, but was only 6 months after 8.0
8.5 was pay for, 6 months later free 8.6
9.0 was once again pay for, then it was about 2 years before Mac OS X came out which was pay for (all 9.x updates have been free, but essentially for most users 9.1 was the only required upgrade)

10.2 was over a year after 10.1 was released, 10.3 was over a year after 10.2 was released, so this fits with the earlier system.

Why all the whining?
Authored by: the1truestripes on Jan 06, '04 10:46:42PM

Er, well...last time...um...they said at the keynote that iDVD (and iMovie?) was "too big to download" so had to come on a CD (for cost), and they threw the other stuff on because "not everyone has broadband".

Unless he said it again, I'm not so sure. I mean yeah, the reasoning is still true, but maybe they need the money more now. Or maybe they want to add it to dot Mac's freebie carrot pile. Who knows.

the 15 Gig Ipod come swith a dock and remote now
Authored by: SOX on Jan 07, '04 12:30:08AM

Looking at the apple web site they did more than simply add 5 gigs tot he 10 gig model, they also bundled it with the dock and remote units that used to come only with the 20 and 40 gig models. these alone are worth over $50. In fact it now makes the price of the 20 gig uint anomolous: 100 more gets you just 5 more gigs.

The screen display on the mini looks to be one line of text smaller vertically and the same size horizontally. moreover if you buy the ipod at mac mall, the 15,20 and 40 gig units also come with a rubber ipod jacket plus a set of speakers. the mini's dont. With the mini you dont get a dock for free, dont get a remote for free, dont get the extra goodies.

So what it comes down to is styling. the mini is well smaller, and you should expect to pay a preimum for being smaller. I also think its all aluminum case is nicer too. Presumably its more robust than the plastic one on the maxiPod. Plus it works directly with the belt clip without having to harness it in a clumsy jacket. Its in color! it weighs less too and is thinner.

technically, it's usb cable can charge it unlike the maxiPod, so thats a major plus for Windows people. And it has mechaincal tactile buttons which to many people are better too. Apple just switched batter manufacturuers and these may possibly have the new fluidic lithium batteries--could avoid the sporadic battery issues or possibly have more charge cycyles.

So ecomincally there's no benefit on a raw storage/functionality basis. in fact it cost more if you were to add the accessories. But its small and cool. that's worth something.

what the mini is really is for is the up-sell price point. You think about a rio 4 gig unit for 225$ then say well crap for $25 more I can get a 4 gig mini ipod which is a zillion times nicer and the ear buds alone are worth the difference. then you say well crap for 50$ more i can get a whole ipod. and poof that 294$ sticker shock doesn't seem so bad anymore.

the price point really is no surprise. I mean why should the mini cost much less? after all all the parts in it cost the same as the parts in the MaxiPod: battery, screen, dial, eag buds, cpu, case, cables, adapters. heck even the disk drive costs the same, its just smaller in size.

the 15 Gig Ipod come swith a dock and remote now
Authored by: SOX on Jan 07, '04 01:07:16AM

I just called mac mall to order the 15 GB unit and they say its a mis print on the web site. It does not come with the dock and remote unit. bummer.

the 15 Gig Ipod come swith a dock and remote now
Authored by: Eravau on Jan 07, '04 02:47:31PM
Sox said:
That's true...the additional features of the 4 gig iPod Mini is worth the difference in price between it and the Rio. But that starts with the assumption that any 4 gig mp3 player is worth $225+. I can't justify that in my head. Shoot...I can't even justify 15 gig for $300. I don't think most consumers are going to jump on the bandwagon for any toy that cost more than $150 - $200.

Just look at DVDs. They didn't really start exploding everywhere (where "everywhere" means non-geek homes and stores) 'til people like Apex started releasing sub-$100 DVD players. Now you can get dozens of DVDs, not just at your local electronics superstore, but at Wal-Mart, convenience stores on the corner, gas stations, etc.

Now a sub-$200 iPod that also has the slick iPod interface and enough storage that nobody need scoff...that would sell like hot-cakes.

Consumers LOVE the iPod
Authored by: gigabarth on Jan 08, '04 11:58:08AM

>>>I don't think most consumers are going to jump on the bandwagon for any toy that cost more than $150 - $200.<<<

Um, 2,000,000 iPods SOLD to date. I'm afraid your concepts about consumers is a little off.

---