Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Pay for iTunes?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: Lizard_King on Jan 06, '04 02:08:27PM

From Macworld:

"iTunes 04 costs $49. Free with every new Mac. Available January 16th."

Pay for iTunes? what features could be worth 49 bucks? I don't know how well this is going to go over.

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: M.D on Jan 06, '04 02:10:39PM

They mean iLife'04 costs $49...

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: menace690 on Jan 06, '04 02:11:43PM

Ummmmmmm noooo.

That would be iLife for $49.

This includes iTunes yes, but it also includes
iDVD
iMovie
iPhoto
and the new comer.... Garage Band

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: adrick42 on Jan 06, '04 04:10:55PM
<opinion>
I said it last time they upped the ante on the iLife suite. I don't want to pay $49 for something that I have been getting for free. Can you say "Bait & switch"? When we all started using iPhoto it was free and there has never been any mention of it changing, until now.
And besides, I don't use iMovie or have any intention of using GarageBand to justify $49 on the whole deal.

But this is just my opinion....
</opinion>

---
If we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

The Merovingian -- 

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: friedmaj on Jan 06, '04 04:24:13PM

I wouldn't call it a bait and switch, as you do still have your free product, and it presumably works as well as it did when you got it. If Apple stopped allowing print or book ordering for older versions of iPhoto, for example, then you could more fairly cry foul.

iLife
Authored by: drc on Jan 06, '04 04:29:08PM

$49 gets you iLife. In iLife you get updated iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto and iTunes and all new GarageBand.

Check it out. I will be getting it just for the new GarageBand App. I've been need to get an easy audio recorder for a while now and it does all I need and a lot more. The rest of the updates will be a nice bonus. I do wonder if the updated iTunes will be downloadable though or any other iApps?

iLife
Authored by: sfn on Jan 06, '04 06:59:16PM

iTunes is not updated according to the iLife page. It remains at 4.2 so no bonus there.

---
-sfn

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: saint.duo on Jan 06, '04 05:03:48PM

From what I can tell, iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie are still free.

iDVD and Garage Band will be sold within iLife for $49, and included on new macs for free. (iDVD on machines with superdrives only?)

iDVD has NEVER been free. It in the past has only come on machines with a superdrive, and been a $50 purchase for new versions.

---
duo

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: rootpoot on Jan 06, '04 05:40:00PM

I think iPhoto is worth $49 on its own. What other app gives you everything it does for less?

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: ret on Jan 06, '04 07:48:41PM

I'll be interested to see whether downloadable versions of everything bar iDVD (and GarageBand) turn up for .Mac subscribers....

cheers
RET

---
perl -e 'require Signature.pm; srand; printf STDOUT "%s\n", $Signature[rand @Signature];'

Pay for iTunes?
Authored by: bjmorgan on Jan 06, '04 07:20:13PM

Yeah, as the consensus states. iLife is $49. And is probably not even the close to the real value that I would place on the new Garage Band.

It's nice that they've addressed the iPhoto update. I've never been an iPhoto enthusiast because of it's, "let us say," pokiness (I got a chuckle out of their own willingness to point out its faults). So I expect that this little $50 investment will be a good payoff.

iLife enterring niche market?
Authored by: rkchang on Jan 10, '04 04:10:31AM

I sorta see about the iLife suite enterring a niche market aimed at the amateur artist. Being an amateur musician, I can totally justify spending $49 just to get Garage Band, whose features seem to rival packages that typically cost $150+. I can see the amateur filmmaker spending hours on iMovie and iDVD (rather than pay for Final Cut Pro). Finally, iPhoto will probably be an important tool for the photo enthusiast (though Photoshop is plenty more powerful for photo tweaking).

People who want just typical everyday use are probably using most of the iLife apps minimally (except for possibly iTunes, which is likely to remain free). I have to admit that I tend to avoid iPhoto, and I haven't touched iMovie (though that may change the day I get a digital video camera). My iBook isn't equipped with a SuperDrive for iDVD. I can see the casual user who may still use some of these apps, though not to the extent that the really intense user may.

To the people who are upset over possibly having to pay for an upgrade, you may want to evaluate whether you currently use the software extensively and whether your current version gets your needs done. If so, then why bother upgrading? I can see why some people may be upset by the change from free software to paid software, but let's face it...it's still a deal compared to most paid software suites.

Possibly the saving grace is that supposedly iLife will be bundled with new Macs, encouraging that creative outlet for new users.

---
"I have seen the evils of procrastination, and I vow to change my ways tomorrow."