Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'SCSI CD Burner' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
SCSI CD Burner
Authored by: muzzi on Nov 15, '01 12:10:31AM

How in the world did you get your Adaptec card working? I have a similar set-up and I still
get no recognition in Apple system profilier, or Toast.
Any suggestions?

SCSI CD Burner
Authored by: pmcd on Nov 15, '01 02:51:33AM

I have a Yamaha 8x4x24 CDRW attached to an Adaptec 2906 card and the utility works great. You might want to reinstall iTunes 2.01 (in OSX) after installing the utility.

Philip

SCSI CD Burner
Authored by: mssdvm on Nov 15, '01 11:39:19AM

Make sure you have the most current Adaptec Drivers (1.0.2) and after you install the the SCSI CD software, Restart, just logging out and back in will not work. You may want to check your SCSI id's just to make sure there is no conflict.

SCSI CD Burner
Authored by: ddldreaming on Nov 17, '01 02:00:38PM

The patch worked for me to the extent that I was able to burn an audio CD with Toast 5.1p2 using my external Yamaha 8424S and Adaptec 2930U card (I've got a stock G4/400/AGP). I had to reinstall iTunes v2.0.2 after installing Toast and the patch for the drive to be seen in Toast. (In fact, both the Finder and iTunes now recognize the drive and will attempt to write to it, but fail attempting to initialize a session -- 'an unknown error occurred (-1)'.)

But I now have a more distressing issue. Previously I'd been able to use my Yamaha as a plain-old CD-ROM, for both audio and data . Now, any attempt to read from the drive for more than 15 or 20 seconds elicits a kernel panic from the Adaptec driver (I'm using their 1.0.2 release). This isn't a huge problem since I only really want to burn discs with the external drive; my internal one works fine for playing stuff. Still, I hate making my system less stable.

Sigh... I should just bite the bullet and get an external firewire drive. Pity, I like my Yamaha.

more on kernel panics...
Authored by: ddldreaming on Nov 17, '01 05:41:14PM

Looks like my kernel panics when reading data from this drive occur whether the El Gato patch is in place or not. My guess is a problem in the Adaptec kernel extension (both 1.0.2 and 1.0.0b exhibit it) or in Apple's IOKit. I've submitted a couple of reports so we'll see what happens. No big deal, at least I can burn discs now.

SCSI CD Burner
Authored by: muzzi on Nov 17, '01 10:02:44PM

Ah still no luck, I guess i'll have to fiddle with it a little more.