Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar
Authored by: AKS9 on Dec 28, '03 07:14:16AM

I have custom icons in all the folders in my sidebar, you just need to re-launch the Finder to see them.

10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar
Authored by: Starfighter on Dec 28, '03 09:51:26AM

This is indeed wonderful information! The only downside I can find to this is that my LaCie external HD icon no longer shows the "eject" button when it is an icon-only sidebar. I like the eject button here for convenience. Still, more screen real estate is a plus! Thanks for the tip!

10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar
Authored by: joshforman on Dec 28, '03 11:46:04AM

Why not just widen the bar a bit, so you have the first few letters of the name, and the eject button? It's not quite as pretty, but... :)

---
Josh Forman

10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar
Authored by: b3uk on Dec 28, '03 01:10:55PM

Does anyone know (when it is expanded) how to prevent the sidebar from resizing when, for example, you mount volumes with particularly long names? Its really bugging me!

---
"Do it now. Today will be yesterday tomorrow"
- Talking Moose

10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar
Authored by: BradW on Dec 28, '03 08:09:27PM

I also missed having an eject button (for both external drives and mounted disk images), so I control-clicked the top of a Finder window, chose Customize Toolbar, and added an eject button (along with a whole bunch of other stuff, truth be told) to the top of the window.

BradW

10.3: Conserve screen space with an icon-only sidebar
Authored by: Fofer on Dec 31, '03 03:19:20AM

Yeah, I just tested it and custom icons show properly for me as well. The original poster seems pretty high on "Apple thinking of everything, eventually" though... so perhaps they'll think of making custom icons work in the sidebar, for everyone, eventually. ;-)