Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use QuickTime Pro to compress iMovie projects' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use QuickTime Pro to compress iMovie projects
Authored by: Robert Hancock on Dec 27, '03 06:15:00PM

I must be thick because I don't understand these instructions at all. In my version of iMovie (3.0.3), there is no Custom selection for exporting the iMove file and neither is there a DV Stream codec. There is an output to iDVD export option but that requires iDVD 3.0. The only three export options are To Camera, To QuickTime and to iDVD so where is the Custom selection and the DV Stream codec?

Use QuickTime Pro to compress iMovie projects
Authored by: navratil on Dec 27, '03 06:39:40PM

I haven't tried the QTPro half of the equation (don't have Pro, don't want to spend $30 right now), but I'm pretty sure I can answer your question:

File->Export

Export: To QuickTime
Formats: Expert Settings...

Export: Movie to DV Stream
Use: Default Settings

...and that's all you need. I think.

Use QuickTime Pro to compress iMovie projects
Authored by: Mitchell on Dec 27, '03 08:30:00PM

There's actually no need to do the first export from iMovie. When you save the iMovie project, a QuickTime movie with the same title is saved alongside the iMovie project file and the Media folder. Open this QuickTime movie file in QuickTime Player Pro and it will export into the format of your choosing. It's also possible to send this QuickTime movie file to ffMpegX or another transcoding utility.

Use QuickTime Pro to compress iMovie projects
Authored by: kevinv on Dec 27, '03 09:23:35PM

The quicktime movie file saved in the folder with the movie pieces just contains links to the movie pieces needed. So it'll work for this hint, but you can't just e-mail that .mov file to someone and have it work. Also it won't work for a backup like exporting a full quality DV Stream will (actually I export DV Streams of clips to create libraries of clips that I can re-combine into new movies)

Use QuickTime Pro to compress iMovie projects
Authored by: b-baggins on Dec 29, '03 02:48:21PM

True, but you can do your export, or save as a self-contained movie to eliminate the links. You can also do all the cut, copy, etc. features allowed in pro on this .mov file.

It's a very nice way to make a long movie then export portions of that movie. Select the portion you want to export, choose trim, then make your export. Just make sure you don't save the original movie!

Render DV from iMovie first - otherwise, sound problems
Authored by: drdarrow on Dec 29, '03 04:24:05PM
--[There's actually no need to do the first export from iMovie. When you save the iMovie project, a QuickTime movie with the same title is saved alongside the iMovie project file and the Media folder]--

My experience has shown me that the .MOV created by iMovie does not retain volume adjustments -- it plays cuts and tracks at full volume, and doesn't play all iMovie tracks. If you want a .mov file that "honors" all your editing and multiple audio tracks, you have to render a Full DV file first.

I have been playng with DV recording of TV shows, etc., using iMovie, my DV Cam's A/V to DV pass-through option, and my VCR acting as a tuner. Later I use iMovie to edit the DV clips on my hard drive, eliminating commericals, etc.

With a simple set of sequential clips, minus commercials, I have been able to successfully make VCDs in Toast, using only the iMovie-saved simple /mov file (no need to render a Full DV file), but found that if I faded in/out, or in any way manipulated levels of audio using the Edit Volume feature in iMovie 3.03, these audio effects were ignored in the VCD-burn in Toast.

I always have success in Toast when I use a rendered DV file instead, made from INSIDE iMovie.

It seems iMovie, Quicktime Player and iDVD3 all "honor" iMovie volume edits and additonal tracks without rendering, but other programs and some Export options do NOT honor such extras.