Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Reinstalling Mail.app?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Reinstalling Mail.app?
Authored by: ubik on Nov 14, '01 01:48:47PM

So I installed 10.1.1 yesterday. The only problem was that my Applications directory was in fact a symbolic link to another volumes and that Apple's installer doesn't work with symbolic links. As a consequence, Mail wasn't properly updated, the installer erasing the symbolic link and re-creating a new Applications directory with a new Mail directory containing updated elements but NOT a complete application. Anyway, after me messing up trying to manually copy the updated elements inside the *real* Mail.app, I am left with a non-working copy of Mail and I was wondering how I could reinstall a new copy of Mail without having to reinstall OS X completely?

Also, as an aside, has anyone tried to mount another partition as Applications instead of using a symbolic link (which as demonstrated above!) has grown quite old on me? I am planning on doing it as soon as I fix my current problem to see if upgrades will work better like this. Anything that I should be aware of?

Reinstalling Mail.app?
Authored by: nturpin on Nov 14, '01 03:14:17PM

I had a similar problem too, however replacing updated components of the app did seem to work.

Reinstalling Mail.app?
Authored by: ElLeon0 on Nov 14, '01 03:36:58PM

I had a similar situation, where my copy of Mail was in a subdirectory of the Applications folder, and as a result the updated coponents were installed in a new folder called Mail within the Applications directory. I did manage to copy all the components into the old Mail.app package, and that seems to have successfully updated it (in the sense that the program still works, at least). One question though -- the version number for the "updated" version of Mail is v1.1 (475), and I'm curious if that's what the genuinely updated copy of Mail's version number should be.

Reinstalling Mail.app?
Authored by: dsauve on Nov 14, '01 05:14:30PM

I've had good success with several mounted partitions:

-/Users
-/WebServer
-/var/log/httpd <-- this made a considerable improvement in webserver performance
-/var/mail <-- this seems to make a big improvement in IMAP server performance
-/Swap <- this doesn't seem to do much (I have 512 megs RAM)

I'm using /etc/fstab to mount the partitions, and then I niloaded that file into NetInfo. I have rebooted several times and had no problems; however this morning I did a 'shutdown -r now' and the /Users volume did not mount (I noticed because system performace was lagging) -- however a 2nd remote reboot mounted everything.

Reinstalling Mail.app?
Authored by: adriaant on Nov 14, '01 05:32:46PM

I mount my Applications partition into /Applications, which works well. The Installer recognizes the Applications partition. However, Apple made one major mistake in their installation procedure. They assume all their utilities and applications will be in the original locations. However, most people, incl. me, reorganize the Applications folder. So, yesterday, I moved the airport setup assistant to another folder and bam, software update assumed I did not upgrade to the latest airport! Duh.

Reinstalling Mail.app?
Authored by: jfw on Nov 14, '01 06:08:02PM
Me too -- but it installed the new Mail.app as a folder -- it is not "blessed" or whatever magic is supposed to happen so it looks and acts like an app, not a folder. My old Mail.app (in the subfolder i moved it to) wasn't touched. Help! How do I get the new Mail.app to be a normal pkg/app?