Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Easy access to AppleTalk shares in Panther' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Easy access to AppleTalk shares in Panther
Authored by: chabig on Dec 15, '03 11:47:29AM

Before you go running Classic and the Chooser from OS 9, just make sure Appletalk is turned on in the Directory Access utility.

The problem is...
Authored by: jiclark on Dec 15, '03 10:28:50PM
...for some #@%*^& reason, Apple chose to leave AppleTalk OFF by default in Directory Access, and then had the gall to not tell the average user about the change, and how to fix it!?!?

Not good. Definitely left me fuming. Why not leave it on by default???

EOR [End of rant]

10.3: Easy access to AppleTalk shares in Panther
Authored by: RolfJansen on Dec 28, '03 07:06:57AM

Thank you very much for this hint. This finally alows one to gain root access to an AppleShare volume. Simply turning on the "allowRootLogin" in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist at the server site did not do the trick. Although, you can login using root and the root password, no Mac OS X AppleShare client (whether CLI or Finder) displayed any accessible volume for root (System Administrator). The OS 9 Client does! Hurray!

Best regards

Rolf

10.3: Easy access to AppleTalk shares in Panther
Authored by: tclevenger on Dec 29, '03 01:15:22PM

Okay, I can see the shares now, but I can't get them to show up on my desktop. We are looking to convert OS 9 users with heavy network use to Panther, and having them browse the sidebar every time they need to get to a share is not acceptable. The OS 9 Chooser drops an icon on the desktop and in the sidebar when I use it; can Panther be made to connect the same way?

10.3: Easy access to AppleTalk shares in Panther
Authored by: tclevenger on Dec 29, '03 03:37:45PM

10.3: Easy access to AppleTalk NETWORK ICON MISSING
Authored by: peterrosen on Jun 20, '04 12:28:07AM

>I don't understand what you mean by" not being able to easily connect to AppleTalk shares in Panther." The Network is in the sidebar of every Finder window by default. And Appletalk shares are all listed there. Just double-click on one to connect.

I have been having some weird system stuff in 10.33.4 happening with radical slow down, missing internal CD-DVD superdrive (unseen in profiler) and now the Help files quits upon opening, and the NETWORK ICON in the FINDER SIDEBAR is MISSING!!How do I get it back???

Permissions appear ok, but there seems to be a much longer indexing time when doing a finder level search (command F)???? Something is up, WHAT? Please share clues if you have any?