Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: Lord Brixton on Nov 19, '03 11:30:50AM

only works in safari, not in explorer as far as i can see…

10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: davidcrickett on Nov 19, '03 11:48:53AM

well, who uses explorer anyway? ;-) Now that I'm here: For those who writes journals blogs etc. MacJournal is an extended TextEdit. Very cool, take a look!

---
davidcrickett

MacJournal
Authored by: terceiro on Nov 19, '03 01:57:01PM

Additionally, MacJournal supports PDF viewing in-line as well. So you can mix rtf files, images, MS Word docs (!), and PDFs all in one journal, all by dragging and dropping. And it's all stored in the MacJournal database.

That's one slick app. I love it, seriously. And for free! Nice call on the cut-and-paste directly into MJ, btw. I hadn't seen that.

10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: Graff on Nov 19, '03 10:37:11PM

It also doesn't work in OmniWeb 4.5. You get the styled text but no images, links, frames, etc. This is pretty much a Safari-only hint so far.

10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: Han Solo on Nov 19, '03 10:52:43PM
Yes, I concede I only tested this hint in Safari -- I didn't realize I hadn't mentioned Safari in the hint. Too bad it doesn't work in other browsers, but it is a nice perk and significant improvement over Jaguar.

For those who really need this functionality, a switch to Safari (if they aren't already using it) seems necessary. I wonder what percentage of Mac OS X users do not use Safari? I'd guess a sizable majority do use Safari, but actual data (as opposed to a whole bunch of individual anecdotes) would be interesting. Rob, do you have access stats by browser and platform for MOXH?

10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: Graff on Nov 20, '03 03:25:31AM

I use OmniWeb because it is pretty much Safari with more options. It uses the same rendering engine as Safari and has much better filters, cookie handling, bookmarks, browser versioning, forms handling, etc. Safari does a few tricks better too, such as tabs and all. It all comes down to preferences but OmniWeb definitely gives Safari a run for it's money.

10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: cranfordio on Nov 20, '03 10:10:10AM

OmniWeb gives Safari a run for its money!!!!

Safari is free, OmniWeb is $30, i think my money is much better spent on Safari.

10.3: Print web pages to TextEdit
Authored by: Graff on Nov 20, '03 05:18:32PM

You only get nagged once in a while with OmniWeb if you don't register it. The registration nag is actually kinda funny too, I used to enjoy seeing it actually.

I gladly payed for OmniWeb considering how much work they put into it and all the cool features it has over Safari. $30 is chump change considering the fact I probably use it at least 1/2 hour a day every day. In one year alone that works out to 16 cents a day. It's been a couple of years since I've registered so I've definitely gotten my moneys worth from OmniWeb.

Looking for help with an applescript for this...
Authored by: kafka007 on Nov 20, '03 07:15:31PM
Since this is about as close as we're going to get to the scrapbook function found in IE (saving whole web pages in one file), I've been trying to automate this with an applescript.

Unfortunately, I don't know diddly about scripting and could use some help.

Here's what I have so far:

tell application "Safari"
	activate
	set t to name of window 1
end tell
set the clipboard to ""
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Safari"
		click menu item "Select All" of menu "Edit" of menu bar 1
		click menu item "Copy" of menu "Edit" of menu bar 1
	end tell
end tell
tell application "Safari"
	activate
	set t to name of window 1
end tell

tell application "TextEdit"
	activate
	make new document at the beginning of documents
	set name of window 1 to t
end tell

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "TextEdit"
		click menu item "Paste" of menu "Edit" of menu bar 1
		click menu item "Save" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
	end tell
end tell

Now, obviously, this does not quite work as intended. It does select the contents of the page in Safari, copies and then pastes it into a new document in TextEdit.

What I'd like it to do is this: After the paste into TextEdit, automatically have the file named after the window in Safari and saved in a specific folder (for example, "~/Users/MyName/Documents/Web Snapshots/"

At this point, I give up. But I would love to use this while in Safari to archive articles without any fuss. Can anybody lend a hand with this little project?

I also thought others might be interested in using this, too -- once it's finished!

Thanks for your time.