Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: Pi_ on Nov 13, '03 12:15:59PM

Uh, fakeidentd doesn't need to be launched from xinetd.

It has to get launched at system startup (maybe in /etc/rc, but I'm not sure)

"/usr/local/bin/fakeident bogus" will set the reply string to 'bogus'.

Pi

10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: rminsk on Nov 13, '03 09:54:55PM

The fakeidentd does need to be launched from xinetd. fakeidentd does not include any of the code to create the socket/listen/connect. xinetd does this for it.

10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: eldenf on Nov 14, '03 10:17:59AM

You are incorrect. I'm launching this fine from /Library/StartupItems. It does not work from xinetd.

---
-=Elden=-

10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: g3cko on Nov 29, '03 05:05:32PM
I found it wouldn't work from xinetd for me, but i have no idea how to start it from
/Library/StartupItems
.. any hints?

10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: Bac's on Nov 14, '03 10:14:27AM

Well, it is not "doesn't need" but actually "can't" since the version of fakeident.c that has been posted doesn't include socket specific calls so that it can be compatible with xinetd.

This version is just a good old standalone daemon.

10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: kerbaugh on Nov 18, '03 05:35:50AM

I don't know about "must" but fakeident does indeed run perfectly from xinetd and if you want to pass an argument fakeident, so as to specify the username returned, you have but to add the line,

server_args = Bogus

to the suggested /etc/xinetd.d/auth file. In this case however, group information is not returned. I'm sure there's a way to do that but I haven't time to figure that out.

10.3: Enable identd server for internet relay chat use
Authored by: DC Watts on Nov 20, '03 07:48:29AM
Does not work for me when relying on xinetd; but does when used standalone. Yet it does apparently work for some others in this way; and on principle I would rather use xinetd. Why does this work for some and not others? What is the missing factor?