Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Create a Users partition for your Home directory' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: peoe2 on Nov 06, '03 11:24:08PM

I installed the latest Panther security update. Since then I am unable to access the files in my home directory on a separate hard drive (all was working fine before the update). I only see the root folders (movies, music...) but nothing in them. Doing a get info on these folders show me that I really am on the 2nd hard drive (as expected).
Anybody else experiencing the same issue, any solution?
Now I'm back to having my user home on the system hard drive.

Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: bluehz on Nov 08, '03 12:48:03AM

I have had no probems with my /Users on a seperate partition. Although I found some of the older tips on enabling this were not working. For me the simplest technique worked. Edited /etc/fstab to add in the /Users drive, then simply created an empty dir name /Users on my root and the /Users drive mounts directly to that. To the rest of the system it shows up seamlessly as living on the /root anyway - so no installers balk at it or anything else that can get finicky. Did the same thing with my /applications also on another partition.

Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: motifone on Nov 08, '03 02:16:41PM

I have Panther installed and used the tip at the start of this thread to move Users to a partition named Users.

Most seemed well BUT

Acrobat Professional 6.0 and Flash MX 2004 are now having launch problems. I reinstalled them, but still problems.

I suspect it is because Users is on another partition from startup

Anyone else having similar issue?

Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: motifone on Nov 08, '03 03:34:03PM

i used Cocktail to create a symbolic link of my Users partition and places that symbolic link on my startup partition.

Adobe Acrobat Professional 6 now starts correctly.

Flash still having a launch issue.

Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: bluehz on Nov 09, '03 08:49:29AM

The symlinks method does not seem to work very well in Panther. This method is working for me just fine with a seperate /Users and /Applications dir. Here's a quick overview - more detailed instructions can be found elsewhere at MacOSXHints...

# Edit /etc/fstab
pico /etc/fstab

# add the following or similar to match your setup in fstab
LABEL=Users /Users hfs rw 1 2
LABEL=Applications /Applications hfs rw 1 2

# Duplicate your current /Applications and /Users to your new partitions
ditto --rsrc /Applications /path/to/new_partition
ditto --rsrc /Users /path/to/new_partition

# move your older /Applications and /Users out of the way and create dirs on the root level for mounting (you will prob have to do this while booted into sungle-user mode)
mv /Applications /Applications-old
mv /Users /Users-old
mkdir /Users /Applications

#then reboot (from single user)
reboot -n

and after startup be sure to repair permissions.

Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: TigerKR on Dec 27, '03 09:34:15AM
I'm using 10.3.2, and I tried to alter fstab, without altering netinfo, and it didn't work. The finder hangs on log-in and the dock won't remember its placement. I tried tweaking it for a while, but no dice.
LABEL=users /Users hfs rw 1 2
I made sure that the "Ignore permissions on this volume" was unchecked in the finder's get-info box. I tried repairing permissions. Oh well.

Create a Users partition for your Home directory
Authored by: wizwoz on Jan 16, '04 07:21:34PM

I have exactly this setup (10.2.8), but could not get Panther to reboot after Upgrade install, so restored from CCCloned backup. I am able to boot Panther from another partition, but would like to do the "Update" install on my Jaguar partition. So, how can I undo this setup? I understand how to restore the contents of the original directories using ditto, but the fstab and netinfo settings baffle me.

So: How to put Users and Applications back on boot volume?