Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'What ripper?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
What ripper?
Authored by: TTop on Oct 30, '01 03:46:11PM

What's a good ripper to use for OS X? I don't think cdparanoia or cdda2wav will work, and I don't really know what the OS X alternative is.

What ripper?
Authored by: TTop on Oct 30, '01 04:36:13PM

I should clarify that I'd like a command-line interface ripper.

cdslayer is my pick.
Authored by: stonefish on Nov 02, '01 10:29:59PM

A while back I heard of a good cd-ripping command-line utility called cdslayer. It's essentially a Perl script that given an mp3 encoder (in this case LAME), will rip a CD completely and *then* convert it to mp3. The upside to this is that the CD will be ripped to an AIFF file about three times as fast as ripping into an MP3, allowing you to rip another CD while the script is still converting the AIFF to mp3. This is good for when you are converting a lot of CDs back to back, but will work with just one, also. A cursory search on Google will find it easily.

cdslayer is my pick.
Authored by: mzajac on Dec 10, '01 09:01:06PM

I did find cdslayer as well as newer versions of ripit.pl, on which it is based.

I couldn't get it to work since it seems to require a separate command-line CD ripper program, like dagrab, cdda2wav, tosha, cdd or cdparanoia. Where can I find one of these for Mac OS X?

iTunes 2? (Re: What ripper?)
Authored by: sjonke on Nov 01, '01 12:21:41PM

iTunes 2 is scriptable, however I have no documentation on how to use it that way. Note that you can run applescript from the command-line or within a shell script via /usr/bin/osascript. Also note that iTunes 2 can be set to automatically rip and then eject when done CDs upon insert which may or may not be what you are looking for. Nifty.

Incidentally... (Re: iTunes 2?)
Authored by: sjonke on Nov 01, '01 12:24:51PM

Incidentally, a little bird told me that. ;)

iTunes 3 and LAME encoder
Authored by: rv8 on Oct 04, '02 09:09:13AM

There is an Apple Script available that lets you use iTune as a GUI front-end to the LAME encoder. The album, track name and genre get sent to LAME so they are put in ID3 tags, and the encoded song gets automatically added to the iTunes Library. I've been playing with this the last few days, and it works great, once I tracked down a bug. See:

Note - there may still be a bug in this script, or maybe it has been fixed. "There seems to be a glitch in this script, at least when using OS X 10.1.5. Line 271, in the "on makeTrackCommands" section, has a space after the word "Track" that must be escaped. "/Volumes/Audio\\ CD/Track " should be changed to "/Volumes/Audio\\ CD/Track\\ ". The script worked great once I fixed this glitch."

What ripper?
Authored by: osxpounder on Oct 04, '02 03:57:46PM

Do any of you know of an MP3 encoder that encodes the signal coming in from an audio input? A coworker needs to be able to encode live audio input, rather than CDs, to the MP3 format, and he was hoping to find an OSX solution.