Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: Anonymous on Oct 30, '03 09:57:45AM

AHHHH!

Keep your passwords encrypted, get SSL, and don't patch UWIMAP.

Compile it with PAM and you'll get everything that you are looking for.

make osx PASSWDTYPE=pam SSLTYPE=unix SSLDIR=/usr
SSLCERTS=/System/Library/OpenSSL/certs

Joel

10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: landtuna on Nov 03, '03 01:29:06PM

You should submit a hint on this if you've tested it. I've got Cyrus IMAP working with PAM, but I don't think saslauthd is very secure, and I like my IMAP folders to be of mbox format.

10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: babbage on Nov 04, '03 01:26:53AM

Good advice, but I can't get it to work. Running the command "make osx PASSWDTYPE=pam SSLTYPE=unix SSLDIR=/usr SSLCERTS=/System/Library/OpenSSL/certs" fails when it gets to the first compilation line: `cat CCTYPE` -c `cat CFLAGS` `cat OSCFLAGS` -c osdep.c

I tried substituting the SSLDIR=/usr with SSLDIR=/sw, thinking maybe I could use Fink's openssl package, but that didn't get me anywhere.

Any ideas? Thanks...

---
DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT REAL

10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: geoffsaulnier on Nov 05, '03 06:59:25AM
Cool - the patch works for me and fulfills my needs perfectly. Thanks for the work that went in to that!

Now, unfortunately, I have discovered that I had postfix badly configured and everything is going to PostMaster!!!

Time to look at user lists and aliases, etc.

---
___

Geoff Saulnier - Mac, *NIX, perl, hack!!

10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: mike3k on Nov 16, '03 06:03:44PM

I also couldn't get it to build. I get the following errors:

osdep.c:65:31: security/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory
osdep.c: In function `checkpw_conv':
osdep.c:85: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to an incomplete type
osdep.c:86: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:87: error: `PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:87: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
osdep.c:87: error: for each function it appears in.)
osdep.c:88: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct pam_response'
osdep.c:88: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:88: error: `PAM_SUCCESS' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:89: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct pam_response'
osdep.c:89: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:91: error: `PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:92: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct pam_response'
osdep.c:92: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:93: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct pam_response'
osdep.c:93: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:95: error: `PAM_TEXT_INFO' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:96: error: `PAM_ERROR_MSG' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:97: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct pam_response'
osdep.c:97: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:98: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct pam_response'
osdep.c:98: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:102: error: `PAM_CONV_ERR' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:104: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
osdep.c: In function `checkpw':
osdep.c:116: error: `pam_handle_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:116: error: `hdl' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:117: error: storage size of `conv' isn't known
osdep.c:124: error: `PAM_SUCCESS' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:125: error: `PAM_RHOST' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:128: error: `PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:130: error: `PAM_DELETE_CRED' undeclared (first use in this function)
osdep.c:131: error: `PAM_AUTH_ERR' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[3]: *** [osdep.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [osx] Error 2
make[1]: *** [OSTYPE] Error 2
make: *** [osx] Error 2

I had it working previously with my password authentication set to ;basic; and the old hash, but at some random time - I <b>DIDN'T</b< change my password, panther disabled basic authentication and reverted to shadow hash only, so I was suddenly unable to connect to imapd. I ended up going with /etc/cram-md5.pw and I can now use imapd with a password separate from my login password, but I'm still not happy about having it in plain text sitting on my drive.

10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: enigmamf on Dec 14, '03 05:52:34PM
I found something that fixed the problem for me at the end of the hint about using UW IMAP & SSL in 10.2:
You need to create a symlink before you type make osx, too:
cd /usr/include/
sudo ln -s pam security
Go to http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200212170535568 for the original.

10.3: Using UW IMAP and SSL
Authored by: sjk on Dec 14, '03 08:31:51PM
You don't need the symlink to compile the development snapshot of UW IMAP; see 10.3: Using WU-IMAP with SSL and xinetd revisited.