Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: wdavis0911 on Oct 29, '03 02:36:11PM

Major confusion:

I've been tring to enable postfix and had gotten to a point were it would send mail but to where I have no idea. It wouldn't error out nor would it send it to the mail box requested. So I followed the steps above (original post) and when I hit send for a test mail i had a kernal panic. Any idea how to get this working? Also for a domain can I make something up or use localhost or what? I'm tring to send mail only I can receive it form third party ISP's fine.

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: wdavis0911 on Oct 29, '03 03:13:14PM

OK I tried postfix enabler. No Luck. Mail seems to be sent out using localhost but where does it go? No kernal panics… nothing. I did use my Yahoo's mail account smtp server setting for my domain so … who knows. I just need a clue what's going wrong.

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: BraindeadMac on Oct 29, '03 05:59:35PM
The postfix setup will depend on your ISP configuration. For example, I have SBC DSL, and no mail can pass through without authentication. So I must define the relayhost as the sbc server name to get postfix to work.

Provide a few more details about your ISP and look to /var/log/mail.log for hints as to the problem and we can help you out.

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: wdavis0911 on Oct 29, '03 09:01:21PM

Thanks for the reply.

I added the missing users and groups as discribed at xlr8yourmac.com this seemed to help but nothing conclusive yet so I looked at the mail log as suggested which did yield some clues. "server refused mail service (port 25)" is listed A LOT in the log file and it contains hundreds if not thousands of entires. I'm not sure if my companies firewall is blocking the mail or if I have something screwed up.

Thanks for your help

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: wdavis0911 on Oct 29, '03 09:14:13PM

OK a little more info.

It seems that the outgoing mail is working. I sent mail to my work account from home then logged-in throught the vpn and I received the mail. So it is working. Next question is can my offices firewall block the e-mail, and if so is there a way around this? I know one of my co-workers was using sendmail to use his .mac account at work (sending). Any ideas.

Thanks for the help.

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: dlhull on Feb 04, '05 08:28:06PM
You can configure postfix to forward outgoing mail through a relay by using the relayhost directive in the main.cf file.

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Authored by: ffernandex on Feb 03, '04 03:59:32PM

Major ISP's usually block the access through port 25... to avoid people bypassing their mail servers...