Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang
Authored by: popguru on Oct 17, '03 12:26:04PM

Interesting...I've never had quite this problem, but I've occasionally had coreserviced crash (screwing up icon display and preventing drag-and-drop, as described above). I've tried to restart coreserviced from the command line with sudo, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem, and I'm forced to reboot to get things working normally again. Anyone know a way to restart coreserviced without having to reboot?

Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang
Authored by: lpaquet on Oct 17, '03 12:48:14PM

I have similar problem at home.

My screen turn black, but some software still run in background, iTunes as an example.

I'll try your hints tonight.

Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang
Authored by: cooperman on Oct 17, '03 01:36:11PM

I havent tried this to fix a coreservicesd problem but the 'normal' way to restart a process is to use the kill command. Heres how:

Firstly find out the process ID of the offending program by using the following command and looking for the pid that corresponds with the dodgy process:

ps -ef

Once you have the pid, issue the following command as root (using sudo if you can):

kill -HUP pid

where pid = the numerical process ID.

This should restart the single process. Hope it helps.

Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang
Authored by: cooperman on Oct 17, '03 01:46:26PM

Sorry, that should have been :

ps -aux

to see the process listing.

Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang
Authored by: stetner on Oct 17, '03 08:20:26PM

Kill does not 'restart' processes, it sends a signal to them, and if they catch the signal they can restart themselves. If they don't catch it (or ignore it), they die. If they have been started by a watchdog type process like init, they may be restarted if they have been configured to restart.

Therefore you need to know what the specific process in question will do when 'killed'.

I have not looked into whether coreservices will restart or not, but I am just pointing out that kill will not, in general, 'restart' processes.

Diagnose and recover from a coreservicesd hang
Authored by: popguru on Oct 19, '03 03:59:11AM
In case anyone's interested, I may have figured out the answer to my own question. OS X starts coreservicesd with the arguments -preload AEServer. You can confirm this by doing ps -axww | grep "coreservicesd" | grep -v grep in the Terminal while coresericesd is running. The AppServices StartupItem actually starts the coreserviced process (see: /System/Library/StartupItems/AppServices/AppServices). So, if coreservicesd crashes on you, you may be able to start it again without rebooting by doing:

sudo -b /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd -preload AEServer

...though I haven't tested this yet.

Another Way
Authored by: UCMacGuru on Oct 19, '03 06:26:08PM

Another (maybe cleaner) way to start coreservicesd back up is:

sudo systemstarter start "Core Services"

You'd think you could issue the command with "restart" but looking at the AppServices script shows that "restart" does nothing - I guess because Core Services is never *suppose* to stop.