Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Problems with ZLib Encoding' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Problems with ZLib Encoding
Authored by: smeger on Oct 14, '03 02:46:22PM

First off, thanks to Mac OS X Hints for picking Chicken!

Since this is a common problem, I thought I'd mention that Chicken has difficulties connecting to Windows boxes using recent versions of RealVNC while using ZLib-based encodings. The manifestation of this problem is that Chicken will fail to connect with an error message about an unknown subencoding. The work around is to change the encodings in your Chicken profile.

This occurs because RealVNC seems to have "embraced and extended" the VNC spec and I haven't yet been able to figure out what they're doing.

More info on this bug (and a more specific work-around) can be found at here.

Thanks again! And Chicken is GPL'ed, so feel free to jump in and help!

Jason

Solution
Authored by: germ on Oct 14, '03 03:49:17PM

Use VNCDimension, my favourite VNC client.

Solution
Authored by: ygor on Oct 15, '03 06:49:55AM

URL, please ?

Solution
Authored by: ygor on Oct 15, '03 06:54:22AM

The link through VersionTracker is a dead end.

Where can VNCDimension be found ?

VNCDimension
Authored by: osxpounder on Oct 16, '03 02:39:35PM

There's this thing on the web called Google; heard of it? :o)

If you search for VNCDimension, you'll have no trouble finding it. The URL is too long to paste in here. Google it.

I recommend it, too, over COTVNC, because I can use Apple-N to start a new connection, and a few other hotkeys, too. If one of these other VNC clients offers even more hotkeys, I might take a look, but so far VNCDimension suits me perfectly -- I drive Macs and PCs with it daily.

---
osxpounder

VNCDimension
Authored by: bluehz on Oct 17, '03 08:03:14AM

Unfortunately all the links for VNCDimension are down - including the main homepage and the link from Apple. Also tried Google and Download.com (which usually mirrors). Still no d/l available.

Problems with ZLib Encoding
Authored by: ygor on Oct 15, '03 06:48:49AM

Rather than hacking the Chicken (egad, that sounds rude), has anyone thought to open a dialog with the RealVNC folks ?

Problems with ZLib Encoding
Authored by: smeger on Oct 15, '03 05:52:18PM

Of course, just haven't found the time to do it. It's that always-cool "only 24 hours in the day" thing. :)

(I agree, "hacking the chicken" is pretty nasty sounding)