Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: rdm on Aug 15, '03 11:48:32AM

When I first read this hint, I went to my ~Library/Preferences/com.apple.dvdplayer.plist, and found that I didn't have these two entries. I checked, and indeed my Apple dvd player was v3.2 on Mac OS X 10.2.6. So I thought perhaps I had customized the plist somehow, so I copied the plist to a different file, and restarted the dvdplayer. I didn't get these entries in my new com.apple.dvdplayer.plist either!

I decided to wait until someone else brought this up, but so far, no one else has mentioned this. Am I the only one without these values? Can someone suggest some reason why I might not have them? I have a PowerBook G4 500 -- perhaps the values are only listed on desktop systems?

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: nicola on Aug 15, '03 01:04:46PM
That's a bit strange. Anyway, instead of writing directly to the prefs file (to avoid typos etc.), you may try giving these two commands from the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dvdplayer DisplayDolbyLineMode true

defaults write com.apple.dvdplayer DolbyLineMode true

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: travisdu on Aug 21, '03 07:27:10PM

AHH!! This didn't work - now I can't even open DVD Player without it closing because of an "Unexpected Error" - I tried typing the same commands in the terminal with "False" after them, but that didn't work either!
HELP PLEASE!!

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: deltonis@mac.com on Aug 23, '03 05:42:59AM

Now i'm in the same boat here. How do we fix this problem now that we cant even watch dvds:(

I have learn my lesson on listening to what hack people ave tried out.

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: oRiCN on Aug 24, '03 11:00:05AM

Pop into the ~Library/Preferences/com.apple.DVDplayer.plist and delete the 4 lines:

<key>DisplayDolbyLineMode</key>
<string>true</string>

and

<key>DolbyLineMode</key>
<string>true</string>

It appears that even if there 'False' it can stop the player loading, but If there not in there at all it works again

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: w4lna on Aug 23, '03 08:18:33AM
Are you checking for the file in your home directory or the root directory? The file location is in ~/Library/Preferences (notice the added forward slash)

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: rdm on Aug 24, '03 10:06:16PM

Yes, I am sure I am referring to the plist in my home Library Preferences directory -- there isn't one in the root Library Preferences.

I don't consider the hints on how to add the value (vs change the value) to be helpful -- I know how to add values, I just consider it unwise in this case if my configuration does not list them as it does for some of the other folks writing. (And since one person seems to have added them and gotten in trouble, perhaps this prudence is justified.)

I am trying to find out if anyone else out there using an older PowerBook (although a Ti500 might not be considered old) using Apple's 3.2 dvdplayer and Mac OS X 10.2.6 has seen these values. If not, there may be a fundamental difference between the players as installed.

Enable full-quality Dolby audio output in DVD Player
Authored by: bluehz on Aug 25, '03 08:20:11AM

When I made the Dolby modifications to my Apple DVDPlayer 3.2 .plist it would not load.