Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server
Authored by: chincotaco on Jul 28, '03 10:01:49PM

I set this up on my G4 server, and it works wonderfully. The only problem is that the program doesn't scan the directory recursively.

I'd really hate to have to give up my iTunes-organized music folder, but if that's what it takes to run this, oh well.

Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server
Authored by: semios on Jul 28, '03 11:14:54PM
Maybe you could do something like this:

flat_dir=all_mp3s
for file in $(find . -name "*.mpg"); do
     ln -s $file $flat_dir/$(basename $file)
done

Well, if it'll work with symbolic links then that should do it.

Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server
Authored by: sweetsdream on Jul 29, '03 01:09:42AM

I am using an Intel Linux box and it scans the directories recursively. You should send a note to the developer because it sounds like it might be a PPC problem.

---
Cheers,

Sweetsdream

Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server
Authored by: pglock on Oct 21, '03 03:02:58PM

I had a similar problem. It turned out that daapd didn't like a space in one of the directory names, escaping with a '\' didn't help. When I renamed the directory everything worked ok.

---
Too lazy to think of an original signoff...

Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server
Authored by: io on Jul 29, '03 05:23:10PM

that's strange. it should scan the directory recursively, even on a PPC machine. the only limitation is, that files or folders beginning with a . are ignored. could you please try to examine this problem further and write a report to the daapd developers? thank you!

io

Use a Linux box as an iTunes music server
Authored by: wiley on Jul 30, '03 07:10:44PM

I had the same problem when I had the directory set in daapd.conf as /local/Music. I changed it to /local/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music and it started working. I guess if it doesn't find any mp3s in the first couple of levels it gives up.

how did you configure daap on osx?
Authored by: nick on Oct 21, '03 03:37:38PM

i couldn't figure out, how to configure daap wich directory to share on osx. could s.o. please help me with that.

to prevent questions: i don't want to loginto my server and start iTunes.

how did you configure daap on osx?
Authored by: nick on Oct 21, '03 03:52:10PM

to prevent questions: i don't want to loginto my server and start iTunes.