Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use the hidden MPEG2 encoder in OS X' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use the hidden MPEG2 encoder in OS X
Authored by: momerath on Jul 24, '03 10:30:51AM

iDVD will only install at all if you have a Superdrive. If you don't have one - even if you do have iLife - it will refuse to install and leave you without this so-called "free encoder."

Use Pacifist
Authored by: jecwobble on Jul 24, '03 10:59:32AM
Use Pacifist to extract it from the install CD. Other's have confirmed that iDVD2 & 3 will have full functionality on a non-superdrive machine with the exception of actually burning a DVD.

Use Pacifist
Authored by: tj68 on Jul 30, '03 12:55:54PM

Can not mount software cd iLife. The iLife package comes with 3 cds. One for non superDrive one for SuperDrive macs and a keynote cd. My non SuperDrive G4 will not mount the SuperDrive cd that has the iDVD software on it. I have pacifist loaded but it has no chance to get at the iDVD package because the cd will not mount. I insert it and then it comes back out after a few seconds. So how do I get the cd to mount? And then use Pacifist to install the iDVD software.

Please how do I get iDVD 3 on a non SuperDrive G4?
Thanks

Use Pacifist
Authored by: tj68 on Jul 30, '03 01:00:57PM

sorry but I just looked at apple's software download and iDVD 3.03 is downloading to my G4 now. Only 82MB. I didn't think you could download it.

regards

Use Pacifist
Authored by: tj68 on Jul 30, '03 01:34:44PM

I downloaded iMovie and not iDVD so I'm back to not having iDVD on my non-superdrive mac.

Use Pacifist
Authored by: tj68 on Jul 30, '03 02:43:42PM

OK I need a DVD drive to read the iLife cd because the cd is a DVD. to be continued. I will use my son's iMac that has a DVD combo drive and copy the package over to my G4

Starting with version 3.0.1, iDVD can be used on any Macintosh G4 or G5
Authored by: osxpounder on Jul 24, '03 12:30:13PM

According the Knowledge Base article below, iDVD 3.0.1 can be used on your machine even if you don't have a SuperDrive. See the article for details:

---
osxpounder

Beat me to the punch...
Authored by: mustang_dvs on Jul 24, '03 01:05:15PM
"While iDVD 3.0.1 and later can be used on any PowerPC G4-or G5-based Macintosh model to create DVD content, the option to burn the finished DVD is only available on computers with a built-in SuperDrive."