Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Longhorn killer huh' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Longhorn killer huh
Authored by: martinx on Jun 23, '03 07:07:39PM

I definitely want to upgrade, but from the preview I don't see the nifty "database" features that were supposed to be integrated into the file system. Too technical to mention? Not yet finished? Scrapped?

and piles?
Authored by: martinx on Jun 24, '03 10:02:20AM

Come to think of it, I didn't see piles mentioned either. Wasn't that supposed to be in Panther?

and piles? (That's Exposť)
Authored by: tophu on Jun 27, '03 05:32:57PM
I think that the Exposť they were showing off is the implementation of the "piles" concept.
I could be wrong, but I think that's it.

and piles? (That's _not_ Exposť)
Authored by: momerath on Jul 02, '03 11:45:39AM

You're wrong.

Piles were supposed to be some folder replacement mechanism or a cool way at looking at folders. Expose is about the parallel of that for a bunch of windows.

kqueue/kevents()
Authored by: sjk on Jun 26, '03 03:07:53AM
Read about kqueue/kevent() in Panther Details on Apple's Web Site. This appears to be what's behind Fast Find in Panther. I'm not sure about any filesystem changes yet.

Finder. SPEED please!!!
Authored by: biggles on Jun 26, '03 03:19:26AM

The one thing that really bugs me about Jaguar's Finder is how slow it is. I believe it's written in Carbon. Let's hope Panther's Finder is a lot faster. Two days ago I was doing multiple large (GB sized) copying across from a FireWire drive and this rendered my machine USELESS for doing anything else, even switching apps took forever. iMac G4 800MHz OS 10.2.6.

Finder. SPEED please!!!
Authored by: malvolio on Jun 29, '03 12:08:03AM

I've seen estimates from Panther users that the Finder is anywhere from 30% to 300% (!) faster than in Jaguar.
Haven't seen any benchmarking to back up these figures yet, though.

---
/mal

Finder. SPEED please!!!
Authored by: maclaxguy on Jun 29, '03 11:33:39AM

I have no solid benchmarks for you, but I have used a machine that is running Panther. Yes, the Finder is faster. That's putting it mildly though. The Finder is MUCH faster. In fact, it seems to me that overall, everything is running and launching much more quickly and smoothly.

BTW, Expose is the shiznit. It's worth the upgrade by itself.

Finder. SPEED please!!!
Authored by: arglborps on Jun 30, '03 08:43:07AM
For the time being try Path Finder it's completely written in Cocoa and has quite a few features, that Apple's Finder lacks.

Finder. SPEED please!!!
Authored by: cajos on Jun 30, '03 09:45:41AM

On my iMac 700MHz it is actually faster than the Jag ver. I checked the Finder.app binary and noticed the new one is NOT Carbon / CFM app. Maybe Cocoa, maybe other (C++, etc.) but definitely not Carbon or old-world PowerPlant code.

The overall speed of Finder and Panther is well ahead of Jaguar. In this incomplete stage.

Finder. SPEED please!!!
Authored by: Chris Haynes on Jun 30, '03 06:12:27PM

The Finder in 10.3 might be a Cocoa app as it is using the brushed metal interface which seems to only be available through the Cocoa APIs. And right-clicking on it allows "Show Package Contents", so...

I am usually wrong about these things though ;)

---