Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Rebuild the iPhoto Library' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Rebuild the iPhoto Library
Authored by: Anonymous on Jun 23, '03 10:30:43AM

I wish I knew about that when iPhoto pooped out on me a few weeks back. I thought it was strange considering I have less than 100 photos stored in the application. Anyway, I ended up removing the library file. iPhoto rebuilt the library on the next restart and it started working again. I'm glad there's a more elegant way of doing this.

---
Gypsy <gypsyx@manson.vistech.com>

Rebuild the iPhoto Library
Authored by: jimlaurent on Jun 23, '03 03:39:04PM

robg comments that he's not sure when you would need to rebuild the library. The Apple forums are full of users who have "lost photos". Rebuilding the libary recatalogs them.

Note that changing a file name of a JPG file using the finder will make it "invisible" to iPhoto. Changing the name back doesn't help. You must import the photo back into iPhoto. Loose enough photos this way and "rebuild" option becomes quite attractive.

Rebuild the iPhoto Library
Authored by: ankh on Jun 23, '03 04:13:22PM

I wonder if iTunes has this feature? My library self-corrupted a while back (scattered tracks suddenly are marked as unknown/unavailable in the middle of sequences, although the files are still in place). (these are classical albums, nine piano trios in a folder for example, with two of them "lost" by iTunes).

Hand-navigating to each folder for each "lost" track is impossible til I reach retirement age some years hence.

It's all beta and I'm tired of it.

Rebuild the iPhoto Library
Authored by: rich13 on Jun 23, '03 06:06:59PM

I rebuilt my library, having had a few problems with reimporting a backup I made.

It really messes with the ordering of photos, in a way that seems totally bizarre... so I'd advise anyone doing this to watch out. You may have a slightly screwy library, but rebuilding it may make it really screwy :-\

If you want to go back to the old library, just go to your com.apple.iPhoto.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/ and look for the line:

RootDirectory
	/Users/*you*/Pictures/iPhoto Library_1

which in my file is line 171, and delete the _1

No wucking furries :-)

Rebuild the iPhoto Library
Authored by: rich13 on Jun 23, '03 06:09:24PM

<key>RootDirectory</key>
	<string>/Users/*you*/Pictures/iPhoto Library_1</string>

which in my file is line 171, and delete the _1

No wucking furries :-)

Rebuild the iPhoto Library
Authored by: Dot on Oct 03, '03 06:41:52AM

K0o bebuild a busted iPhoto library. I start by holding down SHIFT+OPTION as I launch iPhoto. Everything moves along fine while it loads maybe 10-15 pics that have the default name they were given on my camera - such a PC1200012.jpg. Then the hole process just stalls when it comes to a pic that I've named - such as ses3.JPG.

It just stalls the whole iPhoto library rebuilding process. Would anyone have a clue what's up here? Thanks!

Also ever since my original iPhoto library crashed, every time I try to import from my camera, iPhoto says, "No camera is selected". My camera is hooked up fine and I can locate the pictures, copy and everything. just can't import into iPhoto.
------------------------------------------------------------------------