Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Create HFS+ and FAT32 partitions on one external drive.' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Create HFS+ and FAT32 partitions on one external drive.
Authored by: pbw on Jun 17, '03 03:08:19PM

Using this method, would the HFS+ partition be bootable for OSX? For example, could I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone an OSX boot disk to the HFS+ partition and be able to boot from it? Since it appears you have to type "hdid /dev/disk2s1" via Terminal whenever you want to mount the partition, I would assume you could NOT boot from it (but if you could, you would be my hero).

I've been looking for a way to boot OSX from one Firewire partition while having a Windows partition available for my work PC (without needing MacDrive or MacOpener). Any ideas?

Create HFS+ and FAT32 partitions on one external drive.
Authored by: atverd on Jun 18, '03 01:52:38AM

Can't help with that, sorry. The problem is in Open Firmware, it doesn't recognize MBR-kind (aka fdisk aka msdos aka windows type) partitions, so doesn't want to load BootX from it, even if file system there is HFS+. yaboot might be able to load OS X from such partition, but I don't know how to make it work this way. I'll try to figure out, though.

So far I had created bootable CD with BootCD tool and keep it with me all the time, so in case of troubles I could boot from it and restore system from backup.

Create HFS+ and FAT32 partitions on one external drive.
Authored by: peertimo on Jun 18, '03 08:13:38AM

What is wrong with formatting the entire drive as FAT32? It will mount under OSX and Windows. No need for two partitions at all.

Create HFS+ and FAT32 partitions on one external drive.
Authored by: hotchili on Jun 18, '03 01:28:08PM

You can't boot from a Fat32 partition, for one thing (though it seems to be problematic booting using this methond as well).

Create HFS+ and FAT32 partitions on one external drive.
Authored by: tcurtin on Jul 15, '03 01:25:32AM

At least one other problem with making the whole drive FAT is that psync loses its mind with any files containing : or ? or & or the \r in Icon files... to name a few. So if you're looking to use the drive for backups, it won't work. Works great on an HFS+ partition though...

FAT32 has a 4gb file size limit
Authored by: tcurtin on Sep 03, '03 01:37:04AM

One other problem I just discovered - FAT32 has a file size limit of 4gb.

I thought I'd try formatting the whole drive to FAT32 then creating an HFS+ disk image large enough to back up my ibook onto... but as soon as the image gets bigger than 4gb disk copy dies.

---
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin