Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: FunkDaddy on Jun 06, '03 12:03:06PM

This doesn't work... it still adds the file to my library. Which stinks, cuz I have tons of AIFFs from band rehersal I want to compress, and I can't find a copy of LAME that will install on X.

Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: FunkDaddy on Jun 06, '03 12:04:57PM

Oh, you mean BEFORE you encode it... ah. I'd like to encode and save elsewhere, NOT to the iTunes Library. Anyone know of a LAME package that will install on 10.2.6?

Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: david-bo on Jun 09, '03 12:14:09PM

I installed lame from source on 10.2.5 (and many previous versions of Mac OS X) with no problems at all.

---

Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: notmatt on Jun 06, '03 12:58:21PM
Have you tried the fink package for lame? I haven't tried myself, but it is listed in the stable brance, so it ought to be OK.

Fink's Lame dist works fine
Authored by: englabenny on Jun 09, '03 12:53:24PM

for me.

Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: Eravau on Jun 06, '03 01:42:47PM
There's a MacOS X packaged LAME on this page that installed fine for me without incident.

-Eravau (Tony Colter)
Check out my Photo of the Day

Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: FunkDaddy on Jun 06, '03 03:22:46PM

I did install the Jag package, but I get this error:
dyld: lame Undefined symbols:
lame undefined reference to _tgetent expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

someone told me it was outdated... any help?

Use iTunes4 to convert AIFF files without adding to library
Authored by: artarf on Jun 07, '03 08:23:34AM

I use NMP3 to encode my MP3s.

It is a cocoa wrapper around LAME. Works separately from iTunes. Freeware.