Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: exsilio on May 07, '03 06:03:32PM

Good call..always best to cover you butt.

But this is why I wont buy ANY iTunes. If I buy a CD I can do
whatever I want with it. Personal usage or loan it to a friend
and let him make a tape or CD copy of it.

For years I have gone over to friends houses and copied their
CDs, Tapes, LPs...with no feeling of guilt..why should there be?
And by that same token I have bought a lot of music as well.

I say SCREW the record companies and the artist. I am not
selling the music...if I put it online and someone downloads it,
good for them..it's the same thing as a friend coming over to
make a copy of it and listen to it.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't shed a tear for the obscenely
overpaid 'artist' and record moguls. Boo hoo! They'll only make
10 million instead of 12..whatever.

iTunes is convenient but far too restrictive. When I own the CD
I can rip it at whatever quality I want, share it with ANY of my
firends and play it on ANY damned MP3 I have...in my car, my
mobile player, my living room..and take it to work and play it.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: hayesk on May 07, '03 09:40:00PM

Actually, it's people like you that causes the RIAA to act paranoid and
require things like DRM. You are so mistaken on a couple of fronts:

1. You believe every artist is rich. Wrong, only the very successful
artists are rich. Most artists barely scrape out a comfortable living.
And what about the song writers and studio musicians? They certainly
aren't rich. If everyone acted like you, there would be no musicians or
writers and you would have no music to copy.

2. You think serving your music up and if someone copies it, it is not
your problem. Wrong, you offered it up to be copied illegally. When
you buy the music, you own the medium, and the right to listen to it
yourself. You do not have the right to allow others to copy it. That is
illegal, whether you like it or not.

Like in any business, people who produce the products you consume
deserve to be compensated. Do you work for no pay? Why should
artists? If you believe that you deserve to either get it for free, or
deserve to allow others to get it for free, then you are both selfish
and a hypocrite.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: exsilio on May 08, '03 02:50:05AM

wow..aren't you the ignorant slut.

actually you are more likea sheep. And it's sheep like you that
get fleeced. You don't see the big picture. you don't see that the
consumer has rights..you blindly follow what you are told by the
recording industry and behave liek the good lil sheep you are
baa baa

I understand business far better than you ever will..I have been
involved in consumer products at the highest levels for quite
sometime..and it disgust me. we love people like you cuz you
do what we want, you are like a mindless drone that consumes
and nevers stops to consider why or at what cost..perfect for big
business.

I'm out of business now, because fleecing people like you
bothers my conscience.

And regarding copying music...I want you to go and arrest every
person that made a mix tape for a girl or boy and sue the,. then
sue their parents. Where do you draw the line little sheep?
Consumers have rights and we need to flex our muscles more. If
I buy it and want to make a copy of it I WILL. Will I sell it?
Make money off it? Nope...but I will gladly let ANYONE copy it
from me and I, in turn will copy from them.

Now go away and graze like the good lil sheep you are...don't
stop to ask why? Or how much is too much? And what are my
rights as the consumer.

FYI: There have been studies of the "lesser" paid unknown artist
liking programs like Kazaa and Napster because it gets their
music out there and then people still go to the store and buy it.

Baa baa.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: andriven on May 08, '03 11:53:56AM

Ummm....the previous poster was articulating was some rational thoughts. You answered with cursing, insults and ad hominem attacks.

Nuff said.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: exsilio on May 08, '03 03:58:19PM

I love nubs like you.

You offer nothing of substance or value...you act as the defender
of the universe..go away.

So this is rational?
"...it's people like you that causes..." (nice absolute)

"... You believe every artist is rich." (Gee, don't remember
saying that..that's quite an assumption)

"If everyone acted like you, there would be no musicians or
writers and you would have no music to copy." (wow...talk
about a bleak outlook and gross generalization.)

I want bother with addressing the rest. But you sir should shut
the hell up and go hug a tree or save a whale. This nub you are
defending is not worth it...and neither are you. Not one of you
understands what it is you are referring to.

Get...a....clue.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: hayesk on May 08, '03 05:35:59PM

Can you debate anything without resulting to childish insults?

You copy and allow others to copy music - which is illegal. This is also the reason record companies are trying to put in DRM technology into music. My comment "people like you" is perfectly valid.

You also referred to artists as being rich. Do you personally verify the net worth of every artist from whom you steal? Again, my point seems valid. Maybe you don't believe *every* artists is rich, but I don't believe you think about that when offering up music to be copied or copy it yourself.

You also made up a story about you being some kind of consumer "big-wig". Based on your grammar, spelling, and inability to debate or state an opinion in a mature manner, I don't believe you. What I believe is that you are under the age of twenty, and haven't learned what it means to work for a living. I could be wrong, but we'll never know unless you admit it. I'll let others decide if I am correct in my assumption or not.

Back to the point: if an artist works hard to produce music that people want, it is the artist who decides if compensation is due, and it is the artist who decides who gets the right to distribute. Somewhere along the line, you mistakenly believed you have that right. I fail to see how you can justify deciding who has the right to freely copy and distribute a product that you had no part in creating.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: dMacX on May 08, '03 07:39:33PM

I haven?t decided on which side of the issue I support at this
point, but some of your logic is flawed. You say that sharing
coping music is illeagal, which is true. But, there are many
things we do daily that are illeagal and yet we continue to do
them because they are just plain stupid. Do you speed? I speed.
Yet, I could make the arguement that we are threatening
national security because we are causing our police to have to
occupy their time monkeying around with us when they could,
potentially, prevent a terrorist attack. I know that is extreme
and plays on some serious emotions, but it is true.

Now as far as distributing music. If you look at the topo music
that is being downloaded from iTMS, I can make a good
arguement that those same artists are are high up on the
GNUTella network downloads as well. And please don?t tell me
Bono is hurting for the scatch.

Like I metioner before, I still don?t know where I sit on this, but
I can say I don?t feel bad for the artists or the recording industry
execs.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: hayesk on May 08, '03 11:29:40PM

Do I speed, sometimes. If I get caught, I will pay the fine because I
deserve it. But that is a flawed analogy. Revenue from speeding
tickets pays for the cops that patrol for speeders. Because of
speeding tickets, police precincts can afford to hire extra cops - so it's
not like they'd be out finding murderers or anything. They'd be
working at other jobs.

Also, Bono is not hurting for cash, but he is hardly an "average"
musician. But who cares? It's irrelevant. How much money should a
musician make before it's ok to copy their music? How about a record
company? How big do they need to be before it's ok? Who is any of
us to decide it's ok or not? Who are we to decide who has a right to
copy and distribute music made by someone else?

What if everyone copied the music? Who will pay the musicians to
make the music? Who will pay to produce and distribute the albums?

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: dMacX on May 09, '03 07:52:53PM

My point about the cops is we do things that are illegal, that
they really are not issues that are too terribly important. There
obviously are extremes consequences for breaking the law, but
how often do they occur? Not very often. So when you say ?what
if everybody copied mp3s,? I say that will never happen. It is
stupid to think that would happen. Its ridiculous. People are
always going to steal music, but there is always going to be a
market to sell it as well.

My comment about Bono is not irrelevant. I was illustrating my
perception of what bands? music are being taken off the gnutella
network and other services. Bands like The Clarks are bands I
think would be hurt by these free music services. But, people in
EBFE are not going know about The Clarks until they reach a
level of success that is probably significantly above the poverty
line. A level of popularity beyond the city/region they are from.

Regarding hints on evading iTunes Store copy protection
Authored by: zarqman on May 08, '03 11:09:51PM
1. You believe every artist is rich. Wrong, only the very successful artists are rich.

agreed.

If everyone acted like you, there would be no musicians or writers and you would have no music to copy.

as a musician and a composer i heartily disagree. i do music because it's in me itching to get out. any commited artist is the same way. if they're able to make a living doing it, great! (wish i could.) but the assumption that we'd have no music (or other art) simply because artists can't make a fulltime living at it is a bit short-sighted.

2. You think serving your music up and if someone copies it, it is not your problem. Wrong, you offered it up to be copied illegally. When you buy the music, you own the medium, and the right to listen to it yourself. You do not have the right to allow others to copy it. That is illegal, whether you like it or not.

you're lumping the legal in with the illegal here. 'serving' up music online for others is illegal, agreed. however, it is legal for anyone in the u.s. to copy something, from an original, for themself. don't believe any of it? check out the audio home recording act (ahra). now, it's odd how the law appears to be written. you cannot make a copy of an original cd and give the copy away. however, you can borrow your friend's original cd, make a copy for yourself, and give the original back. if it's a digitial copy, and you don't own/keep the original, the copy probably does need to be copied onto media for which a copying-tax has been paid. this would be "audio" cdr's, minidiscs, or dat tapes. analog copies, because of the inherent degredation, are also legit. i have heard an argument that mp3s or other lossy compressed formats should be considered like analog copies, but that's definitely stretching the law and has not been tested in court.