Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Improve NFS client performance' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: doggkruse on May 07, '03 02:04:19PM

I have never been able to figure out how to get my Mac to mount a NFS share from my linux box in the first place...

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: pmlindner on May 07, '03 02:30:31PM

I remember the NextStep days, so mounting nfs volumes is old hat.

Probably the simplest way is to create an fstab file containing the nfs volumes you want to mount:

<pre>
foo.com:/media /Users/lindner/media nfs rw,intr,bg,rsize=16384,wsize=16384 0 0
foo.com:/home/lindner /Users/lindner/stuff nfs rw,intr,bg,rsize=16384,wsize=16384 0 0
</pre>

Then load it into netinfo like so:

<pre>
niload fstab . < /etc/fstab
</pre>

The automounter should pick up on this right away. It mounts things in /private/automount/actual/path/name and creates a symbolic link to the mount point.

Nice part about this is that everything is mounted on first use, no matter who logs in.

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: joshpearce on May 07, '03 03:17:22PM

Is there more information on this, aimed specifically at sharing
NFS volumes from linux to OSX? These's hints are a little over
my head.

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: wgscott on May 07, '03 05:32:49PM

You might find NFSmanager to be of help.

It is extremely straightforward using this. It is not at all straightforward without it. The documentation is superb.

It is uncrippled shareware -- ie, pay $15 if you like it and want to. In other words, try it out first.

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: bluehz on May 09, '03 08:17:26AM

Yeah - me either - I have tried Samba, netatalk, and NFS...
occasionally I can make a connection, but repeating the process
is futile. I can type "scp ....." faster if all I want to do is move
files.

... I would like the ability though.

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: bluehz on May 09, '03 08:44:28AM

All I ever get when I try to conncet to my Linux Server:

(on the mac)
NFS Portmap: RPC Port Mapper Failure -RPC : Timed Out

I can't tell you how many forums and mailing lists I have posted
that error msg on and no one seems to know what it is. Well
whatever it is - it happens when I try to connect to my Linux
server via NFS and it continues to fill up my logs until I
reboot.

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: pmlindner on May 13, '03 10:59:30AM
You probably need to enable the 'insecure' option on the server. Here is my /etc/exports file:
/home           68.166.39.0/255.255.255.128(rw,insecure)
/media          68.166.39.0/255.255.255.128(rw,insecure)
/var/www/html   68.166.39.0/255.255.255.128(rw,insecure)

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: jurvis on Jun 10, '03 02:05:22AM

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you !!!!! i have been posting everywhere myself on this question. i do happen to have root on the linux server- but what if i hadn't. how do I specify that the automounter should communicate on a "secure" port? just in case...

Improve NFS client performance
Authored by: cytherea on Jul 21, '03 02:07:26AM

pass the -P option to mount, or add it to the opts property of your mount in netinfo.

cheers.