Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC
Authored by: hexghost on May 05, '03 11:50:38AM

Of course, ripping your uninfected mp3 files to AAC means you
lose not only quality, but your control over your own media. You
will now only be able to play these songs on the 3 macs
authorized. And forget about playing them on a non-mac, non-
ipod.

iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC
Authored by: Jeff Thompson on May 05, '03 12:29:39PM

I'd have to double check this, but I'm prety sure that it's been stated already that AAC files encoded by the user do not require authorization. Only those AAC files purchased via the iTunes Music Store require authorization.

As for non-ipod mp3 players and other platforms' (windows, etc.) software mp3 players: I'm sure that AAC will be picked up by other players, eventually. Sure, if you want to rip your music and make it available via file sharing, no one else can use it, until their platform supports it. So what? This was a hint about not losing your mp3 information should you chose to re-encode your songs with AAC, not about the merits of AAC versus MP3's.

iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC
Authored by: callefjant on May 05, '03 04:54:29PM

"Note : AAC files encoded from a source other than the Music Store (such as an audio CD) function the same as an MP3 file encoded from the same source in that there is no authorization required. So AAC files you encode yourself in iTunes 4 can be burned more than 10 times per playlist and can be played on more than three computers"

iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC
Authored by: feste on May 05, '03 12:41:02PM

He's not talking about turning MP3s into M4Ps. He's talking
about turing AIFFs (from the original CD) into M4As (which have
no playing restrictions, and are at least equal quality to MP3s at
the listed bit rates).

iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC
Authored by: Oddjob3x on May 05, '03 02:33:39PM

I haven't been able to hear any difference (using headphones) between my
MP3s encoded at 192kbps and the reripped AAC versions at 128kbps -
extremely unlikely to hear any difference on my iPod in the car!

And, reripping each song saves me about 2MB per song ... on a 16GB library
(over 2700 songs), I'm hoping to save a few GBs. As Anon says, just whack
the CD in and it'll replace your existing MP3s with AACs. To keep track of
which albums I've done, I've been dragging in the cover art from
www.allmusic.com (wonder if future iPod software will show the cover art ... ?)

iTunes4 and re-ripping to AAC
Authored by: drolph on May 06, '03 12:06:44AM

All the songs available from the Apple Music Store appear to be
encoded at 128kbps. Since I'll be buying most of my music
from there from now on, I mught as well re-encode all me CD's
at the same bit-rate.