Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Having fun on April 1st with SSH' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Having fun on April 1st with SSH
Authored by: network23 on Mar 31, '03 11:43:36AM

lots of ways to make a remote mac sleep. How do you get one to wake?

---
Live and Direct, only from
Network 23

Wake On LAN
Authored by: Pi_ on Mar 31, '03 12:11:06PM

Ensure that the Wake For Network Admin Access is enabled in energy saver. Then you have to send a special packet to the MAC address. Google for "Wake on LAN" for a Unix program to do this :)

Pi

Wake On LAN -- through NAT router?
Authored by: ddldreaming on Mar 31, '03 08:56:08PM
Has anyone figured out how to make WoL work through a broadband router performing NAT hiding? I've tried through both an SMC Barricade and an Airport Base Station, forwarding various ports to the desired Mac (TCP port 9, which is the 'discard' port, is what's suggested most often on websites covering the subject), with no luck so far. I can ssh into my Mac remotely, once it's awake -- it's just a matter of getting that special ethernet packet repeated through the router.

Wake On LAN -- through NAT router?
Authored by: greed on Apr 01, '03 11:00:55AM

A NAT router only does IP, wheras the WoL packet has to be at the Ethernet layer (below IP), so you can't send it through a router.

I have a Linux server I can always SSH to, and from there I can wake up the Mac. Except if the lid is closed... and my iMac pre-dates WoL on Macs... so I just leave the iMac on anyway.

Wake On LAN -- through NAT router?
Authored by: SeanAhern on May 19, '03 05:14:41PM

Well, I'm able to wake my home machine from broadbandreports.com (http://www.broadbandreports.com/wakeup). According to traceroute, there are over 15 machines between them and my Mac.

So how's it work?

---
-Sean

Having fun on April 1st with SSH
Authored by: werikblack on Mar 31, '03 09:37:27PM

Use CTRL-D, "logout," or "exit." No quotes or commas for any of those commands, but I'm too lazy to write the HTML to make them look fancy. :)

Having fun on April 1st with SSH
Authored by: logo on Apr 01, '03 02:22:20AM

If you are on Ethernet you may try WakeUp (http://www.coriolis.ch/article18.html).

You will need to know the Ethernet Address though...