Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Cocoa Only | 29 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Cocoa Only' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Cocoa Only
Authored by: PhilMarshall on Jul 02, '01 04:32:04PM

This tip only works with Cocoa Apps. Carbon apps don't have a file called 'Info.plist'.

Works in Carbon too!
Authored by: sabi on Jul 02, '01 09:16:47PM

Actually, no. If the Carbon app uses a bundle, you can add that key/value pair to its Info.plist and it works fine. If not, you should be able to add the relevant information to its 'plst' resource. I just did it with iTunes (which is a bundle), and it worked fine.

Unfortunately, there's a side effect - no menubar. Good for LaunchBar, which is designed to have its menubar hidden, but not so good for Joe Random Program.

I seem to remember there is another key you can use, something like "ShowInDock", that -just- removes it from the dock, not anything else. Can't find it now though.

Works in Carbon too!
Authored by: beef on Jul 23, '01 12:36:21PM

"If not, you should be able to add the relevant information to its 'plst' resource."

uh... like... how do you do this?

Works in Carbon too!
Authored by: darnit on Aug 14, '01 11:53:06PM
What I did - (to get rid of dock icon for PiDock)
  • make a copy of PiDock.
  • Open ResEdit (works just fine in Classic)
  • Open PiDock in ResEdit
  • Open the plst resource
  • To the right you see scrunched up xml. Select one of the key/string pairs that's there including the "^" delimiter and paste it in next to itself.
  • change the value of the key element to NSUIElement
  • change the value of the string element to 1
  • save it, close it, launch it.
  • Voila. No dock icon.
Works in Carbon too!
Authored by: chabig on Feb 13, '03 10:10:33AM

In Jaguar, they have apparently changed the plist item named NSUIElement to LSUIElement. Although NSUIElement still works, you should begin to switch to the new terminology.

Works in Carbon too!
Authored by: srteresi on Nov 05, '03 03:27:10AM

Does this still work in Panther? I've tried setting NSUIElement and LSUIElement to 1 in wClock's Info.plist file, and wClock still shows up in my dock.

Scott

Works in Carbon too!
Authored by: jeffmcglew on Nov 07, '03 01:03:17PM

The NSUIElement works with wClock, but I had to log out and log back into my account before it would hide the dock icon.

The only thing was that I not only lost the menu bar but I lost the ability to call up the calendar as well.

Doesn't work with Outlook express
Authored by: pisellone on Nov 04, '04 04:28:51PM

I am not a guru and i wanted just that outlook express icon doesn't appear on the dock when the application has been opened.
I haven't found any .plist file that refers to outlook express, and opening the .app file with resedit i can't find any "plist resource".
Isn't there a normal way to persecute this simple aim? (I am a windows programmer and with that terrible OS all this things are very simple to do)
thanks (I am really getting crazy for this problem)