Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'It's so cute' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
It's so cute
Authored by: terceiro on Feb 07, '03 12:50:49PM

emacs, naturally!

It's so cute
Authored by: Eravau on Feb 07, '03 01:14:22PM

I didn't know there were sadists among Mac users too. BBEdit or vi would be the Mac way. ; )

Re: emacs vs. vi
Authored by: wkoffel on Feb 07, '03 02:23:35PM

Great idea for a macosxhints poll, don't you think?

Editor of Choice:
- vi
- emacs
- BBEdit
- TextEdit
- MSWord

(and maybe)

- AppleWorks
- pico
- ee
- vim
- xemacs
- SimpleText

Clearly the only correct answer is emacs, but I respect other people's ignorance. :)

Oh, and for the record, I'm a Mac geek from System 7 days, who transitioned to being a full UNIX geek and never thought I'd go back, until finally Apple caught up, and I'm back to an OSX geek. I'm in heaven!

-Will

Re: emacs vs. vi
Authored by: ericgorr on Feb 07, '03 03:40:46PM

Don't forget AlphaTK and, when it is released, AlphaX

Re: emacs vs. vi
Authored by: beepotato on Feb 08, '03 09:23:47AM

Nedit.

Re: emacs vs. vi
Authored by: Accura on Feb 09, '03 08:40:28PM

emscs? piffle. vi my friend, the only way to fly... emacs, ha. learn to use vi. and learn to use it with out the arrow keys, will save you if you ever need to do tect editing in single user mode.

sorry. had to be said

Dude I am a unix geek
Authored by: macubergeek on Feb 08, '03 10:10:12AM

Three years on Solaris....then mac went nix on me;-)
Maybe you nix folks will see the light about user friendly gui's and ditch xwinders
for aqua ;-) (yeh I know fat freakin chance).

Dude I am a unix geek
Authored by: jimhill on Feb 08, '03 01:26:37PM

No GUI that lacks built-in remote display capability is going to be perfect for me. The idea that I have to be sitting physically in front of the computer I'm working on is so quaint and outdated that I truly am puzzled by Apple's decision to carry it forward into OS X. Yes, there's software like VNC but Mac-to-Mac communication should Just Work. Click a box or two and >poof<.

Dude I am a unix geek
Authored by: macubergeek on Feb 08, '03 05:54:54PM

good point...except one thing...you can blow x back to your mac running apple's x11...case in point...a couple of weeks ago I had to select my benefits options at work...only problem was I could only do so from a website accessable from my company's internal net. No prob...ssh to my sun workstation and blow a netscape session back across the ssh tunnelto my mac at home....Remote and encrypted....groovy