Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Some clarifications' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Some clarifications
Authored by: frankie1969 on Jan 17, '03 01:01:17PM
Setting initial paint delay to 0 will more than likely SLOW DOWN your browser, because Gecko will have to continuously re-draw the layout every time a new element loads.

Current anecdotal evidence says 500msec is the happy medium.
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 500);
For more information see the ongoing discussion at Bugzilla bug 180241

Also, rather than blocking write permissions to the prefs.js file, you're better off putting the command in your user.js file instead. Any setting in user.js will override prefs.js

Some clarifications
Authored by: macubergeek on Jan 17, '03 04:32:07PM

works as advertised ;-)
actually i'm getting comperable performance with Safari now.

Set mine to 600ms...
Authored by: josephaw on Jan 17, '03 04:54:32PM

G4 400 AGP, OS X10.2.3, 700MB, 768kbs dsl, Mozilla 1.2.1
Seems Better at this setting except Version Tracker, that needed over 3000 not to refresh.
Thanks, Joe

Some clarifications
Authored by: wolfy on Jan 17, '03 07:03:53PM

Works real well for me at 500.

Have I mentioned recently how much I love this site?

user.js file - wheere is it?
Authored by: rbkelly on Jan 18, '03 12:18:04PM

I've found and edited the prefs.js file but I can't seem to find a "user.js" file anywhere. Do I need to create this file? Thanks for the help.

user.js file - wheere is it?
Authored by: punkmanandy on Jan 18, '03 02:25:53PM

yes, you do, if it doesnt exist. it is in the same directory as your prefs.js

Some clarifications
Authored by: unfaded on Jan 20, '03 07:47:57PM

Depends on your connection...

Now that I'm at college where my data is available instantly, rendering the page instantly is wonderful. Back at home on my 56k modem, it didn't hurt, but didn't help much either.