Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'We need Terminal here!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on Jun 02, '01 07:18:18AM

Those error messages suggest that the script is being run as a shell script instead of a Perl script.

The first line of the script is "#!/usr/bin/perl" which tells the terminal to use Perl. Does full Perl support require the developers CD to be installed ?

Another possibility is that the unix/Mac linefeed/carriage return problem has kicked in when you saved the script. Try this to strip the junk..

perl -pi -e 's/\r/\n/g' < printer_swap > new_printer_swap

then use 'new_printer_swap' instead.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: ClaF on Jun 02, '01 07:57:57AM

Thank you very much for the help, but I get the same errors. Yes, maybe I need to install the Dev Tools... Who knows?

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: Chnuschti on Jun 03, '01 07:12:30PM

Hi,

I had no luck so far trying to edit those SC*.plugin with Textedit or BBedit Lite.

The printer_swap perl script doesn't work either nor does new_printer_swap (same error litany).

Am I missing something? I'm getting more and more frustrated with Epson, it can't be that hard to provide a basic printing driver for all newer Epson models.

Thanks for any help
Chnuschti

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on Jun 04, '01 04:26:20AM

Try downloading with this:

wget "http://www.imdb.demon.co.uk/printer_swap"
chmod +x printer_swap

I just did that and the script downloads without LF/CR problems.

If it still fails, test to see if you have Perl..

/usr/bin/perl -v

should print out version info. If it doesn't, your Perl isn't working, and I guess you need to install the developers tools CD.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: MikeT on Jun 06, '01 09:43:18PM

Still having problems here. I installed the Developer tools (although perl was already functioning)and still I'm getting the 'command not found' error. I can't seem to find any reference to the command '/path_to/' anywhere. No man page. Since I'm a UNIX newbie, I must be overlooking something. Are we perhaps supposed to be in a different shell (different from tcsh)? I sure want to get my SC670 working.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on Jun 07, '01 03:44:34PM

Err hum, you change /path_to/ to the directory path leading to where you downloaded/installed the script, e.g. /Users/myname/printer_swap. Before you ask, 'myname' needs changing too :-)