Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Going a step further' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Going a step further
Authored by: acdha on Jan 11, '03 06:18:04PM

I made a similar change ("open -a X11") and then realized that there's no reason not to repackage the entire MATLAB directory tree into that same LaunchMATLAB package which is less confusing for users:

Instructions

matlab under Apple's X11 beta - Going a step further
Authored by: TwilightZone on Jan 21, '03 10:47:43PM

Tried this suggestion but some detail must be missing.

/var/tmp/console.log reports

sh: Contents/launch_matlab.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
Cannot execute launch_matlab.sh: No such file or directory

Re: matlab under Apple's X11 beta - Going a step further
Authored by: only120xs on Jan 22, '03 08:55:43PM

If someone can confirm whether those instructions work, or modify them so they do work, that would be cool; I don't really want to go through all that if it's not going to work...

matlab under Apple's X11 beta - Going a step further
Authored by: acdha on Jan 23, '03 03:35:41AM

Is it possible that you don't have the BSD subsystem installed? /bin/sh should be on every OS X box - it's about as generic as it gets.

Going a step further
Authored by: welch on Jan 22, '03 10:58:41PM

Wow, this worked for me. Matlab is still pig slow in starting for me (a license server access issue I'm sure) but this "step further" approach worked great for me. You have to follow his instructions carefully. In particular steps 1 and 3 for me. I didn't realy grock what he was saying in 3, despite it being very clear, but when I finally managed to follow his instructions---viola. Nice. Thanks.

Going a step further
Authored by: TwilightZone on Jan 22, '03 11:03:27PM

My apologies to all.....I tried it again and got it to work. This time I edited the original launch_matlab.sh instead of creating a new file and I didn't rename LaunchMATLAB. Not sure if either of these things had anything to do with the original failure!

Can I (should I) now remove OroborOSX? XDarwin?

Going a step further
Authored by: shiflett on Jan 22, '03 11:44:02PM

Very cool! Works like a charm to clean up the mess left by the Mathworks installation. With the sole exception of having to change the path to the help files (easily done from within Matlab itself), the limited tests I've done haven't found any problems. Thanks, acdha!

Going a step further
Authored by: welch on Jan 27, '03 09:02:28PM

Yes, I had to change the path to the help files too, makes sense. Menu File->Preferences, select "help". The path should then be something like

/Applications/MATLAB.app/Contents/MATLAB6p5/help

Awesome. Works very nicely.

Going a step further
Authored by: tierra on Apr 14, '03 01:40:17PM

I couldn't follow your instructions. I get lost on step 2. where
I'm supposed to look for the Contents directory. Where is it?
Which is the "Application Bundle Directory"?