Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'We need Terminal here!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
We need Terminal here!
Authored by: ClaF on May 30, '01 09:25:25AM

I tried but it doesn't work. I'm surely missing some file to be renamed, there's a plenty of subfolders in there!
We definitely need a Terminal way to rename everything in a single sip!

Unix gurus out there?

ClaF

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on May 31, '01 04:43:10AM

Try this script:

After making it executable (chmod +x printer_swap) you can run it
like this...

cd /Library/Printers/EPSON
/path_to/printer_swap SC860 SC870

.. and that will make a ***copy*** of SC860.plugin named as SC870.plugin with various files renamed and contents altered to reflect the change.

NOTE: I have a Stylus Photo 870 which isn't supported. I cannot get this script to work for me, presumably because there are no similar printers, I guess I'd need a plugin that starts with SP. If you have a Stylus Color (SC***) that's not supported then this script might work for you.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: ClaF on Jun 01, '01 07:30:26PM

Thank you for this script, but running it I get a lot of errors and nothing is done. Errors like these:
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: command not found: use [4]
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: parse error near `}' [17]
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: no such file or directory: copy_dir(/, /, , ) [19]
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: command not found: sub [21]
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: command not found: my [22]
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: command not found: my [23]
/Users/claudio/printer_swap: command not found: mkdir() [25]

...and many more, like those. Any idea? The script is placed in my home dir but launched from the EPSON dir: is this correct?

Thank,
Claudio

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on Jun 02, '01 07:18:18AM

Those error messages suggest that the script is being run as a shell script instead of a Perl script.

The first line of the script is "#!/usr/bin/perl" which tells the terminal to use Perl. Does full Perl support require the developers CD to be installed ?

Another possibility is that the unix/Mac linefeed/carriage return problem has kicked in when you saved the script. Try this to strip the junk..

perl -pi -e 's/\r/\n/g' < printer_swap > new_printer_swap

then use 'new_printer_swap' instead.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: ClaF on Jun 02, '01 07:57:57AM

Thank you very much for the help, but I get the same errors. Yes, maybe I need to install the Dev Tools... Who knows?

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: Chnuschti on Jun 03, '01 07:12:30PM

Hi,

I had no luck so far trying to edit those SC*.plugin with Textedit or BBedit Lite.

The printer_swap perl script doesn't work either nor does new_printer_swap (same error litany).

Am I missing something? I'm getting more and more frustrated with Epson, it can't be that hard to provide a basic printing driver for all newer Epson models.

Thanks for any help
Chnuschti

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on Jun 04, '01 04:26:20AM

Try downloading with this:

wget "http://www.imdb.demon.co.uk/printer_swap"
chmod +x printer_swap

I just did that and the script downloads without LF/CR problems.

If it still fails, test to see if you have Perl..

/usr/bin/perl -v

should print out version info. If it doesn't, your Perl isn't working, and I guess you need to install the developers tools CD.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: MikeT on Jun 06, '01 09:43:18PM

Still having problems here. I installed the Developer tools (although perl was already functioning)and still I'm getting the 'command not found' error. I can't seem to find any reference to the command '/path_to/' anywhere. No man page. Since I'm a UNIX newbie, I must be overlooking something. Are we perhaps supposed to be in a different shell (different from tcsh)? I sure want to get my SC670 working.

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: robh on Jun 07, '01 03:44:34PM

Err hum, you change /path_to/ to the directory path leading to where you downloaded/installed the script, e.g. /Users/myname/printer_swap. Before you ask, 'myname' needs changing too :-)

We need Terminal here!
Authored by: akt on Nov 30, '01 10:10:42PM
I don't know how relevant this is any more (since Epson released a bunch of new drivers), but I tried to do this for my 875 DCS (they provided a driver for the 875 DC -- so close, and yet so far). Here are the command lines. Before you get to them you need to copy the plugin to be mangled into it's own directory (e.g. cd /Library/Printers/Epson; cp -r SC740.plugin SC666.plugin; -- if your unsupported printer is the SC666). Then cd to the new directory (cd SC666.plugin) and execute the following two lines fgrep -l SC740 `find . -type f` > fileswith666.txt
perl -i.install -pe "s/SC740/SC666/" `cat fileswith666.txt`
Those are backticks before/after the "find" and "cat" commands. Perl needs to be installed, as is pointed out in the posts that follow. Anyone with ideas for my non-constant-length printer name, which causes problems in the binary files, please reply to this note!