Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'Don't change the UA unless you HAVE to' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Don't change the UA unless you HAVE to
Authored by: raider on Dec 19, '02 04:48:51PM

When you change the UserAgent string of your browser - yu are actually adding to the problem. The reason sites check like that is because they look at their server use statistics and they see that 90% of all users use IE so they don't bother to change for the other 10%. When you change your UA you are just letting them think that no one uses other browsers.

Now. I can understand needing to use a specific site, but please - in general surfing use the *real* UA, for Chimera, OmniWeb, Opera, iCab, or otherwise.

Thats the only way - is if the web admins see that a lot of people are uing alternative browsers - to get more and better working websites that support other browsers.

Heck, I even "cheat" a bit as my Mozilla/Phoenix on my Windows box has the user agent set to Chimera/Macintosh. Just because I am forced to use Windows at work - I prefer OSX - doesn't mean I have to *look* like I am using Windows.



[ Reply to This | # ]