Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Pref.js or user.js' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: rvamerongen on Nov 13, '02 01:08:30PM

Hi
thanks for this hint!
shouldn't be placed in user.js instead.
maybe after a update it is erased?

Rene

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: ScooterComputer on Nov 13, '02 02:19:16PM

Has anyone gotten user.js to WORK?

I think there is a pretty good body of evidence from the past few Chimera tips, that user.js doesn't seem to be read on some users' systems. Like mine for instance. :)

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: bipto on Nov 13, '02 02:20:51PM

For me anyway, the user.js file seems to be ignored, though some on the web say otherwise. From what I understand, if you write 'user_pref' in the prefs.js file, Chimera will leave it alone. That's the only way I can make pref file changes happen...

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: aranor on Nov 13, '02 03:29:54PM

From my experience:

user.js only works with user_pref() calls, not pref() calls, which is moot anyway as pref() calls aren't saved out to file when Chimera quits

when a user_pref() call is put in user.js and Chimera is started (Chimera has to be shut down prior to putting the call in), when Chimera quits it saves the user_pref() to prefs.js, making putting it in user.js pretty pointless.

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: bipto on Nov 13, '02 05:01:27PM

Oh! Well, if that's the case, then yeah, pretty pointless...

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: ScooterComputer on Nov 13, '02 10:22:35PM

Okay, well I think I found something!

I ripped all the crap I had put into my prefs.js and put them into my user.js file. Then I loaded Chimera and quit it. No luck on getting those changes to take effect (the easy one to "see" was showing history in the sidebar)...BUT! When I loaded Chimera and went into the Preferences window, then quit chimera--VIOLA!--Chimera sucked the user_prefs from user.js and put them into prefs.js!

So it looks like you have to monkey with Chimera's prefs pane to get the "import" to work. The reason to use user.js (rather than just sticking things into prefs.js) is so that you can easily keep your hacks separate from Chimera's defaults, and they won't get periodically, and mysteriously, "eaten".

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: drcocktail on Nov 16, '02 05:24:55PM

Call me a newbie, but while prefs.js is right in front of me, I can't find any file named user.js at all. It just isn't there. Can anyone explain?

--Doc.

Pref.js or user.js
Authored by: bruddahmax on Nov 16, '02 06:53:58PM

just create a new plain text file in TextEdit, paste the lines in, and save in the same directory as your Prefs.js file with the name "User.js". worked great for me. when you open and close the prefs pane in Navigator the User.js settings get copied into the Prefs.js file.