Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Here is what I get on my G4:' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Here is what I get on my G4:
Authored by: jjpypers on Nov 08, '02 07:24:09PM

Nov 9 00:20:36 localhost mach_kernel: IP firewall loaded
Nov 9 00:20:36 localhost ConsoleMessage: Starting Internet Sharing
Nov 9 00:20:36 localhost SystemStarter: Unable to load localization strings for /Library/StartupItems/ISharing
Nov 9 00:20:37 localhost InternetSharing[398]: InternetSharing starting
Nov 9 00:20:37 localhost ConsoleMessage: Starting PPP/Bluetooth
Nov 9 00:20:37 localhost SystemStarter: Unable to load localization strings for /Library/StartupItems/ISharing
Nov 9 00:20:40 localhost mach_kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex
Nov 9 00:20:40 localhost mach_kernel:
Nov 9 00:20:40 localhost pppd[411]: pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid 0
Nov 9 00:20:40 localhost pppd[411]: Failed to reopen /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync: Device busy
Nov 9 00:20:40 localhost configd[106]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-AppleTalk
Nov 9 00:20:40 localhost bootpd[418]: interface en0: ip 192.168.2.1 mask 255.255.255.0
Nov 9 00:20:41 localhost pppd[411]: Exit.
Nov 9 00:20:48 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/ARD Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARD Agent: ********Launched Agent********
Nov 9 00:21:17 localhost WindowServer[220]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x6007 for over 1.000000 seconds
Nov 9 00:21:28 localhost WindowServer[220]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x6407 for over 1.000000 seconds
Nov 9 00:21:28 localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[279]: disk2s1s2 hfs no no Essentials [not mounted]
Nov 9 00:21:31 localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[279]: disk2s1s2 hfs no no Essentials /Volumes/Essentials
Nov 9 00:21:32 localhost /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: /Applications/Extras/Bluetooth/OBEXAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/OBEXAgent could not be launched prebound.
Nov 9 00:21:33 localhost crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/sysadmin/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/OBEXAgent.crash.log
Nov 9 00:21:34 localhost /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: /Applications/Extras/Bluetooth/OBEXAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/OBEXAgent couldn't be prebound in the past, and probably can't be prebound now.

And yes it doesn´t work!! Please help me!

I could not get it to work but...
Authored by: rjv on Nov 11, '02 08:12:00AM

I was unable to get a connection with the method listed above. I did get a connection using this post (from the Apple Bluetooth discussion board, sorry - don't have the poster's name to credit) but still could not access the internet with it (so I am still looking for help!)

Bob

From the Apple Bluetooth Board:

Yes!!! I don't know (yet :) how to enable the LAN profile, but I just figured out how to enable ppp-over-serial in the serial profile. MEANING, you CANNOT use this internet-sharing solution at the same time that your computer has hotsync enabled for the Bluetooth-PDA-Sync port... to the best of my knowledge. Still, it's better than nothing.

This tip comes to you thanks to the following page:

In the terminal window, enter the following, all as one big line. They explain it on that page, but I'll explain a few of the terms...

sudo /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync 115200 10.1.1.4:10.1.1.43 local ms-dns 209.137.160.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 persist passive noauth debug -detach asyncmap 0

the number before the colon is your mac's address. The one after it is the address the palm will get. yo.ur.dn.ss is the ip of your dns server.

The 'persist' portion of the command seems to have given me some grief; the process zombied on me when I tried to kill it, even -9. So use at your own risk!

The 10.0.1.* stuff will work if you are running a network behind a NAT box (like those linksys firewall hubs for cable modems), but your computer address will obviously not be .1, the NAT box will be.

In my example, I have my mac set up to gateway my one 'real' cable modem IP to a fake network, 10.0.1.1/24. I got this tip from someone named 'johnt' from one of the OS X hints sites.

# in /Library/StartupItems I have a folder called natd. Inside of it are two scripts:

StartupParameters.plist

}

natd

#!/bin/sh
# Start up natd.
. /etc/rc.common
if [ "${IPFORWARDING:=-YES-}" = "-YES-" ]; then
ConsoleMessage "Configuring NAT service"
ifconfig en0 10.0.1.1 alias
natd -interface en0
ipfw add 100 divert natd all from any to any via en0
fi

(the natd file I have chmod 755, so it's executable.)

If you had to remove the pppd connection, you could try hitting control+C, which worked for the first few times I tried (before the zombie processes. Feh, reboot.)

If you have to remove the natd setup, move the scripts out of the startup folder and reboot, or just temporarily, the opposite lines will work, e.g.

ifconfig en0 10.0.1.1 -alias
sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=0
ps auwx | grep "natd" | grep -v "grep" | cut -f 5 -d ' ' | kill -9
ipfw delete 100

Yes, I know the ps -> grep -> kill line is ugly, but hey, it works. :)

Oh, I'm also messing around with coldsync, an open source method of syncing, and hoping that it will let me do a network sync. Then I could leave pppd running and just connect the Visor when I want internet or network hotsync, and they'd both work using the same connection method. We'll see if I get anywhere with that.