Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Print to HP 940c' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Print to HP 940c
Authored by: gwallis on Nov 01, '02 05:07:10PM

Hey... I tried this 'Hint' on Windows 2000 usinf the G4 iMac and an HP 940c printer and it works like a charm!!!

I apreciate this forum more and more each day... keep up the good work!

Thanks again

CUPS + Win printing
Authored by: matx666 on Nov 02, '02 08:31:03PM

I agreee. MacOSX Hints rocks!

I got my WinXP box to print to my wife's iMac, which is hosting the
Epson C80, via USB (with USB printer sharing turned on).

sa-weet.

It works well.

mx

Print to Epson Stylus C40
Authored by: Iyad on Nov 02, '02 10:09:53PM

Incredible! I followed the instructions and instead added an Epson Stylus C40S. I printed wirelessly from my Dell laptop and it all worked flawlessly from the first time!!!

You're a genious! I can't thank you enough! You saved me from buying DAVE just to get this functionality...

Print to Epson Stylus C40
Authored by: Hoosier_1701 on Nov 04, '02 12:10:36PM

Glad it helped. I was thinking about Dave also, but this was the only thing I really needed to get working.

Print to Epson Stylus C40
Authored by: Anonymous on Nov 15, '02 12:10:06PM

I've followed all the instructions on this thread and on http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2002103106290511 but I still cannot print from my Win98 box. If I enter the URL as in the instructions here, I get told the printer is offline, and if I try browsing, I get "No permission to access resource" when clicking on the +.
As a side note, when trying to connect via file sharing, I get asked for a password which I don't know.
Any ideas?

Print to HP 940c
Authored by: mgalke on Jan 22, '04 04:26:49PM

Hey Hoosier,
I followed all your instructions to the letter (great post by the way) but unfortunately, it doesn't work for my printer, an HP Photosmart 7550, which is disconcerting because it's a relatively new printer on their (HP) product line. Basically, the job makes it from the Win box to the print queue on the iMac, but then it just sites there and says, "GenericClass - Waiting for Device". A few things I've done already:

1) I got to step 11 in your post, but my "model/driver" doesn't show up in the list.
2) I then tried to use "raw" and "raw-queue" as suggested in one of the replies to your post. No joy.
3) I downloaded and installed the Gimp Print drivers for my HP (actually, even Gimp doesnt' make a Gimp compatible driver for my Photosmart 7550, but on Sourceforge.net's site, they have a driver compatilbility chart, and I selected those drivers instead (HP Deskjet 550c drivers, also HP Deskjet 900 Series drivers). Still no joy.

No matter what I do, the job DOES go to the queue on the Mac that has printer sharing enabled, but that's all... it just sits there w/ that message of "GenericClass -Waiting for Device".
Any ideas Bro??? This is really driving me crazy, and I've used up all of my resources. I'm completely stumpted!!

Thanks, Mike

Environment:
Mac = iMac flat panel 800 w/ 768 MB ram, with Printer Sharing enabled. HP Photosmart 7550 is patched into this Mac via USB, directly into ISB port.

Windows box = Acer Laptop / 16 GHz, 260 MB ram. This machine is brand new.

Thanks,
Mike

---
Thanks,
Mike

Print to HP 940c
Authored by: nversluys on Feb 12, '04 02:35:52PM

Ditto to everything you said - especially the quality of the instruction post.

If it helps any I get the exact same result - however once I log out of my iMac the jobs do print to the secondary "printer" that I setup via CUPS.

Very similar setup - iMac 17" with an HP7350 USB Printer -
Trying to print from a Dell Insprion 2650 laptop

Let me know if this helps - or if you have a solution. Thanks.

Print to HP 940c
Authored by: squirri on Apr 28, '05 07:00:21AM

I used this on my G5 Imac running Panther 10.3.9 and it works for several flavours of XP machines(HP, Toshiba, Fujitsu, a 'build yer own' that my son has). They can all get to the HP Deskjet 840C attached via USB to the Imac.

Brilliant Hint.

Only problem was that I had to change my user authentication from ;shadowhash; to ;basic; to get into the CUPS web interface(localhost:631), This apparently is a 'feature' of Panther that is supposed to be fixed in Tiger(doubtless I'll finf out on the 29th if I can get hold of a copy)