Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Host name is always LOCAL???' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Host name is always LOCAL???
Authored by: chad_c on Oct 31, '02 11:29:11AM

I've tried all the previous advice and still no luck.

I have installed Gimp_Print and Ghostscript and I'm still getting no where. I'm trying to printer to an HP LaserJet 5si/mx attached to a WinXP machine. No matter what I type into the add printer dialog box, the host name for the printer is always Local. I am using Windows Printer via SAMBA.

I've tried
smb://username:password@workgroup/machine/printer
and
smb://workgroup;username@machinename/share

Each time I try to print Print Center reports that it can't connect to the printer and will retry in 60 secs. I'm guessing it can't find it because it's looking on my computer (Local) for the printer.

Any ideas

Chad

printer stopped
Authored by: siddhartha on Nov 01, '02 10:29:35PM

i am sorry to report that i am also in the camp of not getting this to work. has anybody solved this? thanks.

Host name is always LOCAL???
Authored by: marzer on Nov 17, '02 03:32:04PM

Chad,

Thanks for the info. I was also getting the "cannot connect to samba server" error until I tried your suggestion--smb://workgroup;username@machinename/share. It works fine now.

I was trying smb://machinename/share, no luck. Even though that reference works fine for file sharing.

The only thing I can suggest is make sure your share name isn't more than an 8 letter single word name. I don't know if that makes a difference with MAC OS (haven't experimented) but this can affect compatibility with other older print sharing protocols. I use "HP" for my shared deskjet.

Mark

Host name is always LOCAL???
Authored by: johram on Dec 13, '02 01:45:09PM

Thank you SOOOOOO much!

my Mac experiance was not "plug and play"
it was "plug and get mad!"

but your post helped out a lot.
my winxppro printer can now be accessed by my iBook with your hint.
what I did
1) I installed the gimp print package
2) I held down "alt-option" while selecting "add" in the printer center
3) I did the "samba share" thing and selected my lexmark z43
4) I typed in my full winxppro username including spaces and all
smb://workgroup;username@machinename/share.
it works!
thanks

hope this helps
Authored by: particleman5000 on Feb 19, '03 11:23:50AM

I'm working with windows domains so this may be a little different with workgroup

this worked for me hope it works for you

smb://(username from windows computer with shared printer):(password from same computer)@(workgroup or domain (i.e. eke.dcboe.com))/(windows computer name)/(shared printer)

My Info

windows full computer name: smithxp.eke.dcboe.com
shared printer on above computer: HPLaserJ
username on above computer: administrator
password on above computer: admin

so my device uri looks like this
smb://administrator:admin@eke.dcboe.com/smithxp/HPLaserJ

Hope it helps
Particleman5000

Host name is always LOCAL???
Authored by: nirtaki on Apr 13, '03 06:03:51AM

that's unfortunately exactly the problem i have :-(. i'm obviously not able to tell the printcenter to address a networkprinter instead of local one - no matter what i do.

i tried the following urls, hoping that one of them would finally work (which they didn't):
smb://Servernampe/pintername
smb://workgroup;username@Servername/printername
smb://username:password@Workgroup/Servername/printername.

my main question is: do i need to have an account on the computer that's sharing the printer? i don't have an account on it and noone else in "my" network has and is still able to print to this printer - but they admittedly use either windows or linux. or do i have to enter my username and my password for the local network?

another question: do i need to install gimp-print? i so far didn't bother, 'cause i get the option "windows printer via samba" and an implemented cups should do the job as well on a mac-box as on a linux-box.

any ideas, comments and even grey theory on how cups and samba work on osx are very, very, very welcome, 'cause i simply don't understand what's happening here and why the printcenter refuses to recognise the correct path to the printer.

thanks very much in advance!

Host name is always LOCAL???
Authored by: miafya on May 23, '03 04:04:25PM

I was getting the same problem -- the "Could not connect to SAMBA host" error message. No matter what combination of URI that I used, nothing worked.

The solution for me was to change my printer share name in XP so that it was less than 8 characters, with no spaces. I'm using smb://username@host/printername

Host name is always LOCAL???
Authored by: srinverno on Jul 08, '07 01:27:09PM

Well i found out that the problem was in the windows shared printer.
In windows i went to printer properties, then in the advanced options tab clicked on Printer Processor. I changed printer processor from RAW to RAW [FF auto]. And everything worked ok. Even without using samba printing.