Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'does NOT work for me' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
does NOT work for me
Authored by: petekjohnson on Oct 28, '02 06:32:36PM

I followed these instructions to the "T" and rebooted and still had to manually start Internet Sharing.

Could someone who has gotten this to work possibly just e-mail to me their StartupItems files so I could try those?

pete_johnson@mac.com

THANKS

does NOT work for me
Authored by: john_e on Oct 29, '02 05:31:27AM

First, you should recheck everything so that there is not any misspellings or anything else. Then check the permissions on the files - this is important. If it still doesn't work, well there could be something different between our setups I guess. I have a static IP for example, maybe you have a dynamic one. Though, if it works when enabling it manually in System Prefs, it really ought to work.

Try this:
restart you computer

check to make sure that Internet Sharing is OFF

then go to terminal and do this:

cd to /usr/libexec

then do this command:

sudo ./InternetSharing

type pass

then you should just return to the prompt, however, in
the background Internet Sharing is now running. Check
System Prefs to see if it's enabled - it should be. Also
check if other machines on your network can get on the
internet. They should be able to.

If this worked, then you must have made a mistake in the
Startup scripts somewhere.

Also, DO NOT, put the Startup scripts in /System/Library/StartupItems/
that directory is reserved for the standard System supplied StartupItems.
There is a REASON, why there are such folders in other places. Never customize
your system inside the /System folder, always do it in /Library/ or /Users/<you>/Library/

At least if you don't have a VERY good reason to modify /System

Regards,
John

does NOT work for me
Authored by: Magnum on Oct 29, '02 01:48:19PM
Doesn't work here either.

The problem is, that InternetSharing does not
start from the terminal.

sudo ./InternetSharing -d

produces:

InternetSharing[1587]: InternetSharing starting

InternetSharing[1587]: no primary service specified, exiting

Anyone know how to fix this?

does NOT work for me
Authored by: john_e on Oct 30, '02 06:07:35AM

Hmm. Maybe you should set your options in the Internet sharing prefs pane first, then try it again. I'm not sure what happens if you have, for example, both airport and ethernet installed on your machine. My setup only has one ethernet card that connects both to the internet AND to the internal network, not very secure, but my main reason is just to share my single IP among several computers.

I have no idea where the Internet sharing prefspane stores it's settings so I'm no help there, sorry. Maybe you should try looking for that and see if you can do anything there?

Regards,
John

does NOT work for me
Authored by: Magnum on Nov 05, '02 01:34:22PM

Okay, I have done some testing and have not succeeded. I tried 5 different
machines, with or without airport, with different configurations - it
doesn't work anywhere. The only cause I can think of is the Internet
connection itself.
Are any of you using an Internet connection over LAN or are you using
PPPoE? All machines I tried use a LAN connection.
I would like to know if any of you have succeeded with this over a LAN
Internet connection.

/Magnum

does NOT work for me
Authored by: cybergoober on Nov 08, '02 12:25:01PM

My desktop is connected to the LAN via ethernet. I connect to the Internet on my laptop via my desktop using this tip.

Desktop:
In the Network System Preferences pane I left my Ethernet settings as-is.
AirPort Settings same as ethernet except,
I changed the IP to 10.0.0.1

Laptop:
AirPort IP set to 10.0.0.2
Router 10.0.0.1
All other IP settings are the same as the desktop.

Draw back.
On the laptop I can connect to machines on the LAN via IP or Hostname but cannot browse the LAN.

Perhaps I have something mis-configured, but broadcasting DHCP is unacceptable.

Set up via System Prefs first?
Authored by: Jaharmi on Nov 09, '02 07:54:04AM

Have you set up Internet Sharing via System Prefs first? You can get around a lot of problems by just letting the system pref do its work. I have no idea where it installs its config files; I do know that starting the InternetSharing app from the command line works if you have set it up beforehand via System Prefs.

You should not need to assign any IP addresses to the interfaces you are configuring. InternetSharing handles this for you, and I don't know how to stop it from doing its automatic thing or customize what it does. Every attempt I've made makes duplicate interfaces that I see when I run ifconfig at the command line.

You will need at least two interfaces, and I'm sorry to tell you that there may not be a way to turn of DHCP. If you have Ethernet and AirPort, you can share your Ethernet-based Internet connection with AirPort users. (You could also share your Ethernet connection via Ethernet with other Ethernet-based computers -- there's a checkbox for that -- but I would say it's safer to have a second Ethernet card and share that instead.) You'll end up sharing any interfaces that don't host your primary Internet connection, in my experience.

I have been running this happily for weeks, since I struggled with my firewall/nat setup after upgrading to Jaguar. (I had previously customized my firewall in 10.1, and had to make some changes to get it to work in 10.2.)

If you are having problems, maybe it's because you haven't set up Internet Sharing via the GUI first ... ?

Set up via System Prefs first?
Authored by: Magnum on Nov 12, '02 04:56:33AM

Sorry for not putting it clearly. I connect to the Internet through a LAN
on my Cube and I share this connection over an Airport to my iBook. Internet
Sharing works fine when I start it from the Pref Pane and before Jaguar gNAT
did the trick. I've tried all kinds of different sharing settings - InternetSharing won't start from the command line.
It's frustrating to read about it, when I can't get it to work on any Mac I
tried.

/Magnum

does NOT work for me
Authored by: jaysoffian on Dec 09, '02 08:19:58PM

Finally, with a little help from ktrace, I figured out the last piece of the puzzle.

In /var/db/SystemConfigurations is a file called com.apple.nat.xml. If you
open this with Property List Editor (just type 'open com.apple.nat.xml from
the CLI), you'll see the property Root->NAT->Enabled is set to '0' when
Internet Sharing is off, and '1' when it is on.

It looks like what the Sharing pane does when you click 'Start' is to edit
this file, setting Enabled to 1, then it runs /usr/libexec/InternetSharing.

When I do this, InternetSharing starts properly for me. The Sharing pane
indicates that sharing has started and the airport icon in my menubar does
as well.

So, what to do? Just setup your prefs in the Sharing pane, start sharing, then
make a backup copy of this file. In the start script mentioned in this tip,
add an additional step to restore com.apple.nat.xml with the backup copy
you just made before running InternetSharing.

Good luck.

does NOT work for me
Authored by: osxfan57 on Mar 14, '03 10:41:34PM

I followed your steps - after issuing the command, Internet Sharing is NOT turned on (as verified by looking in Sharing under Sys Prefs).
What could be the problem? I'm trying to get this working so that I can use Bluetooth to allow my Palm Tungsten to have a web connection. Thanks.

---