Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Symbolic names vs numbers' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Symbolic names vs numbers
Authored by: gidds on Oct 24, '02 11:10:35AM
Why does everyone insist on using those opaque, confusing octal numbers for chmod, when the symbolic forms are much easier to understand and write, and much more flexible? In this case, a simple chmod +x would do the job just as well - and would also preserve the group and other permissions.

Symbolic names vs numbers
Authored by: AlanCE on Oct 24, '02 11:51:55AM

maybe because many of us were born and raised on the numericals and they are second nature by now

Symbolic names vs numbers
Authored by: mithras on Oct 24, '02 12:49:38PM
Well, I wrote the hint (despite the random other name at the top?) and I also prefer the letter style.

But Rob changed a chmod a+x to a chmod 755 in the last hint I wrote, so I figure I'd go with the flow.

Maybe Rob can chime in with why prefers the numbers?

Symbolic names vs numbers
Authored by: mervTormel on Oct 24, '02 01:16:40PM

this is the second instance i've seen of a hint attributed to the wrong submitter.

rob, is there a bug in yer tools?

Names vs. numbers
Authored by: robg on Oct 24, '02 01:30:05PM

1) Hmm, I don't recall changing an "a+x" to a "755", but it's entirely possible. I'm not sure why I would have done this, however, so if I did, sorry! I don't personally prefer one method over the other. Mia culpa.

2) Argh ... very very sorry on the attribution. That's no bug in the software, it's a bug in the operator (me). I basically have to recreate every story, and I typoe'd the user ID. It's fixed now. The new Geeklog will solve this problem, as it doesn't insist on posting stories with the date of submission, which is how the current version works.

Sorry!

-rob.

Names vs. numbers
Authored by: mithras on Oct 24, '02 04:39:38PM

hey, no problem. thanks for the explanations. Certainly no offense was taken in either case - irrelevent glitches. Thanks so much for all your work.

be well,
mithras

Symbolic names vs numbers
Authored by: k2r on Oct 25, '02 10:03:47AM

I can of course just speak for myself, but I learned it this way
and I find it easyer to memorize a number for specific filetypes
aequivalent letters.

The numbers are very logical if you get used to thinking in bitsgrups.

And I always forget whether "o" means "other" or "owner" :-)

But you are right - if you teach some end-user about chmod using the
letter-switches is better to understand.
If you're programming on the other hand, bitgroups are more handy.

k2r