Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'WARNING: DONT DO THAT!!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
WARNING: DONT DO THAT!!
Authored by: SOX on Oct 23, '02 10:48:07AM

DO NOT USE RSYNC on a mac!!!!! it is not HFS+ aware and it will destroy application resource forks, lose all icons, creator codes and create a massively unpleasant experience.

However, you can use RsyncX which is specifically written to be HFS+ aware. it is available free from macosxlabs.org

WARNING: DONT DO THAT!!
Authored by: 240vac on Oct 23, '02 11:10:48AM

Nonsense - I've been using rsync for a long time to mirror my directories between my Tibook and my unix account at work. With no problems whatsoever.

rsync mirrors all the files, and this of course includes the ones for the resources.

WARNING: DONT DO THAT!!
Authored by: Anonymous on Oct 23, '02 11:24:22AM

Thanks for dispelling this myth 240vac.

Nothing like 240 volts of alternating current to zap the fear.

No You have just been lucky, there is a problem
Authored by: SOX on Oct 23, '02 12:16:54PM

Gee too bad your simply wrong about that 240AC. You've just been lucky you have not encountered a problem. As rule of thumb any flat file can be rsynched with only minor damage.

for a quick harmless example,
1) open word or bbedit and make save a new file called "test"*without* the extension .doc
2) In a terminal window type
rsync test rsync_test
3) open the finder and look at the icons of the two files. or try opening them from the terminal window. you will discover the creator code is missing.

this is harmless example. For a harmful example, try rsynching ALL of your applications then throw caution to the wind and delete the original!. you will discover that a some of them will no longer function. In particular, classic applications tend to be most affected since they often rely on resource forks. The new macOSX generally dont use resource forks and thus tend to just have minor problems like creator codes and icons.

WARNING: DONT DO THAT!!
Authored by: Anonymous on Oct 23, '02 11:21:16AM

I appreciate the info but your warning is a little extreme. I'm sure you agree that the version of rsync can be used under the circumstances I provided. In the case rcp, ftp and scp are also "bad."

I'll look into your suggestion, but since I'm not into moving Mac applications I'll have no use for it.

Your right, but I never suggested this to move anything other than files. We can use this for:

.gzip
.tar
.html
.jpg
.gif
.dmg
.bin
.sit
.zip

and a host of others.

RsyncX has problems
Authored by: gctwnl on May 12, '03 12:15:56PM

The HFS+ implementation on maxosclabs (RsyncX) is broken in that it only works if it is installed on all systems communicating with each other. In other words, you gain HFS+ rsyncing between all the Macs you have installed this on, but it willnot work between the this rsync and the real rsync or between rsyncx serving UFS to HFS+. The code that macosxlabs has generated could be improved (goto statements in C, come on...)

So I would hope that a compatible rsyncx would be developed with support for HFS+ and ordinary UFS.