Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries ' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries
Authored by: redfood on May 01, '13 08:03:37AM

Another way to turn it off is to deny the app access to Location Services in the Privacy section of Settings.

I assume Google will update the app soon to fix this...
I wouldn't count on it. From Google's point of view, continually collecting location information and correlating it with searches is Now's purpose.

Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries
Authored by: elmimmo on May 01, '13 12:53:30PM

The setting's name is actually "Location Reporting". By setting it to OFF you will still allow Google to access your location but only while the app is running (and hence, keep using Google Now, albeit purportedly with less convenient cards as Google will know less about you).

Note that this is different from going to iOS's Settings app instead of Google's app settings, and there preventing Google from accessing your location at all.

Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries
Authored by: redfood on May 01, '13 01:55:33PM

I wish this was true but when I set it to off and then quit and restart the google app I get a card that says "Location service is off."

(Unless what you are calling "Location Reporting" is a different setting that I don't know about that allows location services when an application is in the foreground but doesn't allow them when the application is in the background).

Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries
Authored by: redfood on May 01, '13 02:02:17PM

Oh- there is "Location Reporting" inside the privacy section inside the google app. That is great! I was talking about "Location Services" inside the iPhone Settings app.

Google "Location Reporting" is much better. This is the real tip!

Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries
Authored by: sharakan on May 13, '13 06:43:42AM

Odd, I'm not seeing any "Location Reporting" preference inside the Privacy section of the Google Search App's Settings screen. I'm all up to date on my iOS & Google App.

-Eric

P.S. Is it me or are the RSS links all broken? If I click on one (I'm using Google Reader), I get taken to a link that looks like:

And get a 404 error.

Prevent Google Now from depleting iOS batteries
Authored by: sharakan on May 15, '13 07:53:48PM

Doh, I needed to enable Google Now first.