Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Solution to error' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Solution to error
Authored by: hexghost on Oct 18, '02 05:18:15PM

Ok, i finally got this to work to my windows 2000 shared hp laserjet 2100. Before, after following this tip, I would get "unable to connect to samba device" or something like that. The solution is in the device URI. I use this URI: smb://username:password@workgroup/machine/printer. This deviates a little from what I was used to, which was smb://workgroup;username@machinename/share but it works. Now the problem is that even though os x seems to have a driver for the HP Laserjet 2100 series, the printer spits out reems of paper because it doesn't understand PCL. I guess I do have to install gimp-print after all.
Hope this helps everyone!

Solution to error
Authored by: jmelashenko on Oct 27, '02 02:10:06PM

After following the above directions, I was able to send a print job to a Brother HL 1240 (using PCL 2) as I could not find LaserJet series II anywhere under the available HP printers. The print job loads but nothing prints. Any ideas of where the lazerjet II option is, or why the print job is being sent but nothing is printing? Thanks for any help!

Joel

Solution to error
Authored by: john@biology on Dec 16, '02 02:15:53PM

Thanks for the hints. I can finally print to my shared HP LaserJet 4000 on a Win2000 box. Our Win2000 workgroup name is 2 words with a space between: this must be entered as: name1%20name2 (maybe everyone on this site already knows this). My 1st test print page was this site displayed in iCab: all formatting etc was OK, and print job was very fast.... done before I finished walking down the hall.

Solution to error
Authored by: Gad on Feb 02, '03 05:15:56AM

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
I was about to give up and buy a new printer but
decided to do one last search and found your solution.
The new address worked immediately...

Solution to error
Authored by: royM on Feb 12, '03 07:37:56AM

I have the same problem. I've tried all the tips here, but still no go. I want to print to a Win98 machine with a HP2100 attached via parallel or EPSON C82 via its USB port. I have tried every combination for the SMB address but still nothing. Any clues?

Solution to Win98 problem
Authored by: bo on Apr 11, '03 05:45:15PM

Yes, I've got the same thing: unable to connect SAMBA host....
But I finally got it by inputing URI like this:
smb://IP(IP address for the PC)/machine name/share name(printer
name on the net)

Hope this can be useful to you.
And also, I found out that firewall software can be a trouble if you've got
one on your PC.

Solution to error
Authored by: mvmaastricht on Dec 09, '04 04:48:08AM

Thank you SO MUCH for this beautiful tip! It made my endless attempts to print on my Windows-shared printer finally succeed!! (And it prevents me to heve to use Windows ;-) )