Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Access file attachments from iCloud Notes' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Access file attachments from iCloud Notes
Authored by: Supp0rtLinux on Oct 26, '12 08:38:22AM

@kirkmc… you said "Note syncing is abysmal, as is much of iCloud syncing; notes don't update correctly, or at all, some notes can't be saved from the web interface, and on iOS, it's a crap shoot whether notes display or not."

Perhaps you should reword that to say that "in your experience… note syncing is abysmal…" cause its not abysmal for everyone. I use all of iCloud's syncing features except for those related to iTunes. I have a newer 15'' MBP running 10.8.x and an iPhone 5 with IOS6. My notes sync perfectly as do my reminders and all other features. I will often add a new note or reminder from my Mac and find it on my iPhone almost immediately. Other times I'll leave for lunch and add a note or reminder from my iPhone and they're all there on my MBP when I return. In my experience, its not abysmal at all… rather it "just works". Granted, they're all running the latest, greatest… but I also have an older 2010 Mac Mini at home as my media center. Its running 10.7 and syncs everything just fine as well (though admittedly I don't really need it cause its just used as a media center). But that said, my older iPhone 4 (not a 4S) running IOS 5.x previously and IOS6 until I got my iPhone 5 also "just worked" when it came to sync'ing things. And this includes going to wifi to tethering on the MBP and from wifi to LTE to 4G and to 3G on the iPhone 5. But at the end of the day, for me it works as advertised. If you want to bash on something that doesn't work for you, that's fine, but you should probably note that its been abysmal "for you" and not make it sound like it sucks for everyone. Heck, your carrier's coverage/reception and/or your own geographic location could well be a factor in why it may not be working for you. Just my $0.02 worth...

Access file attachments from iCloud Notes
Authored by: dilvish1984 on Oct 26, '12 08:47:46AM

Hear, hear!

I can second that "it just works" sentiment. Some of my Apple hardware is much older (2006 and 2009 Macbook Pros, for example) and I also haven't seen any problems with iCloud syncing.

Additionally, I was one of the fools that previously paid good money every year for dotMac and MobileMe, and I can unconditionally endorse the free(!) iCloud syncing as a HUGE improvement over those services.

Works for me
Authored by: SeanAhern on Oct 26, '12 09:08:37AM

I know it's anecdotal, but I can further say that it works fine for both me and my wife. Absolutely zero problems with iCloud syncing of anything, including notes.

Agreed, I'd rather skip the editorial
Authored by: lullabud on Oct 26, '12 09:33:29AM

Note sync works fine for me. The only problem I've ever had were when I myself made a mistake. It's *much* better through iCloud than it ever was through IMAP. I use it to sync notes between my phone and three Macs with no technical difficulties.

Agreed, I'd rather skip the editorial
Authored by: kirkmc on Oct 26, '12 09:44:40AM

I hear from plenty of people about all kinds of iCloud problems. For many it's bookmarks and contacts, for others it's notes and iTunes Match. It's pretty common (and I'm not even mentioning where there are long outages in e-mail).

---
Mac OS X Hints editor - Macworld senior contributor

Agreed, I'd rather skip the editorial
Authored by: tknoff on Oct 26, '12 11:01:32AM

Beyond the fact that it's just plain editorializing and editorializing is something I don't associate with this site, "plenty of people" equates to what percentage of the total OS X/iOS installed user base?

Access file attachments from iCloud Notes
Authored by: richard2 on Oct 26, '12 08:28:15PM

I also frequently experience various problems with iCloud. The following are just some of the problems I've experienced:

• My notes are frequently duplicated. A few days ago, I even discovered a whole group of duplicated notes in a folder named "Recovered Notes", which had been automatically created.
  • The formatting parameters of my notes, such as the font and leading, spontaneously change. This usually can only be corrected by recreating an affected note with its formatting stripped.
  • Changes I make in Reminders on my iPhone aren't synchronised with my Mac until I restart Reminders on my Mac.
  • The order of my reminders isn't synchronised between my Mac and iPhone.
  • A few weeks ago, Notes was rendered completely broken on both my Mac and iPhone after I deleted Notes's files in ~/Library on my Mac, which somehow corrupted my data on the iCloud server! I had to contact Apple Support to have it fixed by an engineer. (I deleted the files in an attempt to make the "On My Mac" folder reappear after it spontaneously vanished.)

iCloud is definitely the least-reliable Apple product I've ever used.