Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Safari 6 ".com" shortcut' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Safari 6 ".com" shortcut
Authored by: fferitt25 on Sep 25, '12 09:28:55AM

From an iPad running iOS 6:
I simply typed 'apple' in the URL bar (not the search field and no slash or '.com' at the end) cleared out any auto-complete and it resolved it to www.apple.com

Granted when I tested that - I did have apple.com already cached in the history.

But trying several other Sites that I had not been to yet (all ending in '.com') had the same results.

___________
BUT - this IS NOT a new iOS 6 specific ability.

First this has been implemented in the standard Mac OS Safari versions from the beginning. Apple even noted it as a Safari Feature for a short time.

Second - my old iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 and Safari ver. 4.0.5 also has the same results on various URLs.

Edited on Sep 25, '12 09:30:20AM by fferitt25

Safari 6 ".com" shortcut
Authored by: kirkmc on Sep 25, '12 09:33:59AM

This is Safari 6 on OS X, not iOS.

---
Mac OS X Hints editor - Macworld senior contributor

Safari 6 ".com" shortcut
Authored by: Unsoluble on Sep 25, '12 12:06:12PM

This has been present in Safari for OS X for quite a while; typing apple/ipod directly into the URL bar resolves to www.apple.com/ipod. Definitely did so in Safari 5, and I think it worked in 4 as well. (Although I do appreciate the nuance in the hint with respect for the difference between typing "apple" in 5 and getting redirected to www.apple.com, and typing "apple" in 6 and getting search results instead.)

Edited on Sep 25, '12 12:07:57PM by Unsoluble

Safari 6 ".com" shortcut
Authored by: dilvish1984 on Sep 27, '12 04:37:29PM

The point that seems to be getting missed is that Mac OS X Safari 6 and above have a combined search/address field, and so while typing something in this field, for example "apple" would be resolved by Safari to "http://www.apple.com/" in previous versions, it now defaults to assuming that you want to search Google (or your preferred search service) for the term "apple". Adding the slash seems to tell Safari not to make that assumption, and at least for some people, this results in Safari falling back to what seems like the old behavior.

Honestly, I wouldn't rule out that what's really happening is that Safari is defaulting to one of the other possible items in the drop-down suggestion list, perhaps from the user's history or bookmarks? I did notice that before adding the slash, there is an item near the bottom of this suggestion list offering to "Go to Site 'apple'" that disappears once the slash is typed (so maybe this is an officially supported feature?) Given that nobody really understands why this is working for some (I think the DNS Search Domains setting is an unlikely explanation -- in my case nothing seems to need to be set there to make it work) maybe a warning along the lines of YMMV should be included above?