Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'fsck success!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
fsck success!
Authored by: kim.h.patton on Sep 08, '12 12:30:42AM

THANK YOU. My new (and apparently defective) Seagate Free Agent external hard drive froze my computer several times when I tried to make use of Time Machine, even though Seagate claims it works on OS X. So I went to Disk Utility and it couldn't verify my Macbook's hard drive, let alone repair it. Instead, it gave me the "invalid sibling link" error. I'm not entirely helpless with computers, but I definitely had no idea what to do with this. My computer was freezing every time I tried to click anything, so I borrowed my friend's computer to see if this was something I could fix for myself--it seemed ridiculous to pay for a program or someone to fix something that was caused by a third-party product. The ironic thing was that I got the hard drive to start doing regular backups with Time Machine, so I could (obviously) avoid the problem of losing files and other data, and by now I couldn't access anything at all.

It had gotten to the point that I couldn't even boot up the computer when I came across this hint. I was initially intimidated because I haven't done anything with the Command Line since I was using a PC (years ago), and I didn't want to mess the system up further. I tried one of the suggestions in the comments first (restart-->cmd+s-->fsck -fy-->reboot) because it seemed I was less likely to do any harm. No luck--just the same "could not repair hard drive." Luckily in doing this I found my hard drive to have the same designation, disk0s2, as in the original post; that was the part that initially intimidated me because I didn't even know how to go about finding that. So I rebooted into the Command Line again, and tried the original hint, initially without success. I tried many variations on the same fsck commands (-r, -s, and countless invalid commands because I initially had a lot of trouble unmounting the disk), still without luck, and started pricing Disk Warrior. Ouch. I made one last-ditch effort on the Command Line, and after finding an alarming amount of errors, it worked!

All told, I was at it for an hour or more, so KEEP TRYING. I can't even count how many times I mounted and unmounted the drive, giving it variations on the same few commands, and rebooting to see if it worked. Just keep at it. Thank you so much for this money-and-time-saving tip!



[ Reply to This | # ]