Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'An alternative to the old ExposÚ "All Applications" hot corner' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
An alternative to the old ExposÚ "All Applications" hot corner
Authored by: robleach on Aug 27, '12 10:37:22AM

I don't know. The switch to Lion was rather painful with all the feature loss. I'm still reeling from it. When I learned that ML drops X11, I figured the transition would be even more painful and have been planning to avoid it as long as I can. I only switched from Snow Leopard because Mobile Me was going away in June. iCloud was not compatible with Snow Leopard and I figured (despite its feature loss) it was worth the pain to make the switch.

An alternative to the old ExposÚ "All Applications" hot corner
Authored by: unforeseen:X11 on Aug 27, '12 11:00:49AM

Mountain Lion is not much different from Lion, the big jump was from (Snow) Leopard to Lion. There are some new features and a lot of improvements, but it largely feels the same. I can really only suggest updating if your machine supports it.

And it's a good thing Apple does no longer supply their outdated X11, use Xquartz instead which has always been more up-to-date. Except for the icon you won't notice the difference. ;)
Xquartz: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

---
this is not the sig you`re looking for.

An alternative to the old ExposÚ "All Applications" hot corner
Authored by: azeotropo on Aug 27, '12 02:28:46PM

I totally agree with unforeseen:X11. Lion was a pain in the ass, Mountain Lion can't be worse. If your reason for switching to Lion is iCloud, then you should try Mountain Lion, that's where iCloud becomes useful, Lion has ver limited iCloud features. As for X11, I also encourage you to use XQuartz, I'm still running Snow Leopard as my main OS (even though I tried, and disliked, Lion on a separate partition and recently upgraded that partition to Mountain Lion) and even with native X11 available I have installed the latest XQuartz. X11 is outdated and some applications, such as the latest Gimp, require a newer version which Apple never released, so you need to install XQuartz.

So my advice is:
- if you upgrade from Snow Leopard better upgrade to Mountain Lion, Lion is a worse OS.
- if you really use X11 then install XQuartz no matter which OS you are using. Even in Snow Leopard it is worth the upgrade, as X11 is outdated and abandoned.

Edited on Aug 27, '12 02:30:35PM by azeotropo

An alternative to the old ExposÚ "All Applications" hot corner
Authored by: robleach on Aug 27, '12 03:48:53PM

I use X11 mainly for XEmacs - my preferred perl code editor. I use it for random other tools while logged into unix machines too. I know X11 is quirky, but it gets the job done for me. I can see how you'd want something better if you're using gimp though.

An alternative to the old ExposÚ "All Applications" hot corner
Authored by: unforeseen:X11 on Aug 28, '12 03:44:02PM

Apple's X11 and Xquartz are both compiled from the same sources, so there really only is the different version number, everything else is the same.

---
this is not the sig you`re looking for.